Axolotl poisoning, please help!

evaamuir

Reaction score
Country
England
I went away for a few days and left my dad in charge of my axolotl Luna. He has a fish tank and his fish are currently infected by fungus, after using their equipment on Luna's tank he put fish fungus treatment in her water to prevent any spread of the disease. However, it appears to have poisoned her. She has gone completely limp and had her mouth is wide open. I have done a large water change which appears to have helped but she still looks very ill. The active ingredient in the fungus treatment is phenoxyethanol, does anyone know what this does to axolotls and how to make them better?

Isn't phenoxyethanol used for ich? As far as I know axolotls cannot contract ich. I'm not sure what it does to an axolotl however I think a new batch of cool, fresh, dechlorinated water in a tub should be done which would help monitor progress/any developments.

Can you attach a photo?

I know parents can be dorks with trying to help but be thankful he at least thought he was doing what he could to help :) I had a mass nitrate spike a year or two ago when I went overseas for 10 days. Mum thought it would be a nice idea to leave good laying around "incase she didn't feed them enough they would have something to eat later..."

Phenoxyehtanol is listed as an anaesthetic for fish and amphibians, I don't know he exact details for axies, but it is a nervous system suppressant.

I doubt the strength of the chemical was enough to do any permanent damage, and if it's used as an anaesthetic its effects must be reversible.

(Note: I'm not a vet but I'm medically trained and pretty good with chemistry)

I would get your axie in a tub and do a 100% water change in your tank to get rid of the chemical. You won't crash your cycle as long as you keept your filter running in a bucket of dechlorinated water while the tank is emptied.

I hope Luna pulls through.

I would change the carbon in the filter too after the water change - the chemical probably saturated whatever was there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back