Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill problems???

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
The look of charlie's gills has been concerning me, he was recently on what the vet said were anti biotics, which I had to dissolve in water & sit the axies in, that was to cure parasites which he had picked up somewhere. I thought that this would have cured anything that may be wrong with him, but the white bits are still there.
Charlie also is not blinking his gills anywhere near as much as last night, I don't know what that means & he had several little flip outs around the tank, barging into the driftwood etc, & I was afraid he would hurt himself, so for now he is in a plastic container in the fridge until I figure out what to do :(
I have another vet appointment tomorrow morning, but I was wondering if anyone knew what I can/should do in the meantime

If anyone has any idea's, please tell me as I'm really worried!

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 201
  • sdrh.jpg
    sdrh.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 185

HayleyK

Reaction score
What did the vet say?

His gills and along his back look like an issue with the slime coat. What's your temperature? Thrashing around the tank usually means something is stressing him out so what are your parameters?

"Blinking" of the gills is a way of breathing as the flick helps gas exchange. I would be concerned if he was doing it too much rather than hardly at all. He's breathing one way or another.

Is he still eating? I would probably tea bath him/add tea to the tank just as a precaution.

snuggly time

Reaction score
What parasites did the vet treat for?

When my axolotl was sick he flicked his gills almost constantly. I think it was a sign of stress. Keep the water nice and clean. Did you see the vet?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1