1-2 week old Axolotls

Lydia Robyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just got two axolotls that are between one and two weeks old. I have a culture of microworms which I'm feeding them now as daphnia and bbs are available to me at the moment, I'm just wondering if there is a good way to tell if they are eating? And can they be bothered by too many microworms being around them? When I feed them we leave the worms in the water with them for a while and either try and get some out or do a complete water change a few hours later, just so the axolotls have some time to eat. I've had them for only three days and they seem to be fine, just curious to know if there is any way to be sure they're eating a sufficient amount as microworms aren't exactly the easiest thing to see.
Thanks!

When you feed BBS you can see the orange colour in their bellies - if your microworms are white you won't be able to see quite as easily. They should have round bellies though.

Tiny larvae die quite quickly if they don't eat, so if they are thriving they must be eating. Poop is the other indicator - if they are pooping they must be eating.

Thanks! When we got them they had been fed bbs, so it was clear they had eaten (especially our leucistic). They're surprisingly active, both of them, so I'm sure they're getting enough :). Just wanted to know if there were any indicators.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back