Question: Ghost Shrimp

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
Can ghost shrimp live in a tank with my axies? I don't care if they get eaten. I just don't want them hurting my axies.

I'm trying different foods and treats. I tried crickets and they ate those instantly. I'm currently trying frozen brine shrimp and they seem to like that. Is frozen daphnia and frozen krill okay? I know they should be eating earth worms but I went to the store earlier and those things were way to gigantic in width! I might hold off on those for at least an other month or two.

I don't like to feed meal worms to my axies though I do have some for my other pets who eat those. And I also want to try wax worms as a treat.

As for red wigglers I'm going to not use those anymore. They seem to always throw them up after eating them like 30 minutes later so I fed those things to my crabs.

Ghost shrimp have lived with my axolotls just fine and are too small to do any damage. My axolotls have just gotten big enough to start snapping and eating them.

I don't see why they would pose a problem, just know they'll end up as snacks. I actually like to keep my shrimp as pets, hurr.

Earthworms are the best staple food though hands down. If you think they're too big you can always cut them up. :>

Careful with the meal worms, they can actually bite your axie on the inside, seeing as how they vacuum their food up, and it can still be alive for sometime inside. All others sound like good snacks! Remember, exoskeletons can be troublesome to digest, so I would also be careful with crickets.

Earthworms really are the best staple diet. Have you tried blanching them first? If you run hot water over the worm briefly and immediately run cold water over them before feeding to the axolotls, this will kill the worm and stop the worm expelling it's foul defensive secretion. It will take away the foul taste and the axolotl might not spit them back out.

As Kaini said also, you can always cut them into smaller chunks if they are too big.

As far as my knowledge goes, ghost shrimp should be ok as long as you are fine with them being eaten. Though as a staple diet I would still go with earthworms myself.

I just thought of something. What about feeding axies what they eatin the wild haha just an idea.

I just thought of something. What about feeding axies what they eatin the wild haha just an idea.

In the wild they would be eating a variety of bugs, crustaceans, and small fish. Earthworms provide them all the diet they would be getting from those things. If you would like to try identifying all the species that lived in those lakes go ahead but I couldn't find much myself.

I just thought of something. What about feeding axies what they eatin the wild

Well if you can find the last wild axie and ask it what it had for dinner go ahead!

They eat the same in the wild as we feed them - worms, maggots, insect larvae, fish, shrimp, crustaceans, insects, molluscs, other invertebrates.

I put 20-30 Australian glass shrimp in my tank with 3 axies.

The shrimp are completely suicidal and land perfectly on the axies nose...once only.

A month later and there's about 3-4 left.

So in answer to your question.

Yes they can live with axies, but not for long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back