Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 Axies for sale, black and gold, weight issue please help

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
I have 2 axies, the black one has had weight issues since i got him, ive tried many foods and schedules, water quality has always been perfect,
Ive had them in the fridge for a while now at 8c, i purchased a mini fridge just for them,
I feel hopeless now because i cant bring them up to weight, and i want a home for them with someone experienced.. photos soon

please help.

Sydney area

HayleyK

Reaction score
How long have you had them, what have you been feeding them? You say the water is "perfect" but what are your actual parameters and normal temperature? How long have they been in the fridge? Axolotls definitely won't eat in the fridge as it slows down their metabolism.

Post pictures soon please. Where abouts in sydney area are you from?

EmbryH

Reaction score
Agreed. Fridging an axolotl will almost completely halt their appetite most of the time. Did they have an actual tank, or was keeping them in the fridge the entire housing plan? That's almost what it's made to sound like... @_@

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
0 ammonia 0 nitrite 30ppm nitrate pH 7,6
Had them 8 months
Fridging has been for 4 weeks at 8c
They eat every second day
5c is where they lose appetite not 8 and up
They eat Fine and poo fine..
Temp in 70l tank was 18c -20c
But I fridges them when it became higher
They eat bloodworms blackworms
I've tried pellets and beefheart for experiment purposes.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Four weeks is excessive. Even if they eat at 8C they won't eat much due to the slowed metabolism. Take them out and slowly adjust the temperature from fridge to 18C and get them on earthworms.

They aren't gaining weight because you're feeding them the wrong food. Blackworms and bloodworms are for juveniles, not adults.

Try feeding them earthworms, blanch if necessary and if earthworms are all they are offered they will learn to eat them.

Last edited:

auntiejude

Reaction score
5c is where they lose appetite not 8 and up
Where did you get this information from? Axies appetite decreases as temperature does, at 8C they will eat a whole lot less than at 18C.

Earthworms are the best food, and beef heart really isn't suitable.

If you want to sell them try posting in the 'for sale' section.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Also where abouts in sydney are you? I'm also in sydney and if they are still quite small I might be able to take them, or ask around but I don't think many people would buy a sick axolotl.

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
I've found a home for the black one,
Heres the gold one, I haven't had a problem with this one, his apetite is amazing he will eat anything,
FYI i had tried earthworms as well for 2 weeks, they ate them but didnt help any for the period i tested.

Attachments

• 20130611_180049_zps3277b8a7.jpg
    20130611_180049_zps3277b8a7.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 573
  • 20130611_180028_zpsc37353e7.jpg
    20130611_180028_zpsc37353e7.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 290

HayleyK

Reaction score
FYI, You came here asking for help, we are giving you tips and trying to help you. There's no need to be rude.

It can take longer than two weeks to see improvements.

leandrah

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Hayley, everyone here is trying to offer you help to sort out your Axies weight,

You really should research animals first before buying them - and this is a general comment (not just to InsanityAxolotl), so many people on this forum get Axolotls without doing the right research first, and the poor Axolotls suffer because of it.

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
I'm not being rude ?
I just stated that I had tried the earthworms and updated with a photo?
I know how to take care of them and I did research
If you have a suggestion on something I've done extremely wrong go ahead.
I keep my water parameters good and do tests every day
You think I don't know how to run a tank?
I'm trying to find a home for this 1 not because of the weight
It was the other one who FYI came from the shop with of the charts nitrites water
Hli treated him for nitrite poisoning but it didn't help with his weight
My axolotls have not suffered so how dare you think I'm on of those people with massive pebbles and feed junk
I feed all sorts of worms including earth worms
Brine shrimp etc
So can you please not assume ?

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
And yeah it was admins and highly ranked people who suggested I use those foods so go tell them they are feeding the wrong thing.

HayleyK

Reaction score
The "FYI" sounded pretty snappy to me. I'm only trying to help, which is why you made a thread, right?

Pretty sure no one accused you of using gravel or feeding junk. I just said it wasn't suitable for an adult axolotl, perfectly fine for juvies. I asked what you fed them and you only said bloodworms, blackworms, beefheart and pellets - I suggested earthworms since you had not mentioned it. How are we to know you used them if you didn't tell us? No need to get sassy with your "FYI".

Asking water parameters is usually the first thing people ask when an axolitl isn't doing too well, some people think all 0 is "perfect" which we all know is not. It's just a common question to ask, not an accusation that you don't know how to run a tank.

Lea didn't direct that JUST at you. If you're posting for help I would say the axolotl is suffering, at least in your eyes otherwise you wouldn't be seeking help.

And the suggestion I think you're doing wrong is fridging that low, for that long. So I have you my advice do what you want with it - so can you not assume that we are all here ganging up on you. We want to help your axolotls out. I've said what I needed to say, so if you would like any further help I would suggest letting your guard down and stop being so defensive.

InsanityAxolotl

Reaction score
I work in a business were FYI is used a lot
Its not like that to me
I'm asking for help yes but do many people on this site just act like people are killing their axies and are stupid

Anyway I've decided to just keep it I guess
I do love him.
I'll be recycling my tank as when he was fridged I had no spare food or ammonia to keep it cycled.

leandrah

Reaction score
I am sure that you do know how to run a tank, but from your comments - I think that you are struggling with running an Axolotl tank because of some of the comments you have made.

My comment was not aimed at you, I just think that it is very important for people to understand what Axolotls need - I sit on this forum day in and day out, so that I can learn the most possible just so that my Axolotls never need to suffer - and then you see people who post pictures up of their Axolotls being anorexic because of negligent feeding, or being put with pleco's and suffering the damages.
Yes your case isnt as severe as these cases, but it still boils down to actions being taken before research has been made.

All i was saying is that research needs to be made before decisions are taken, which I am not too sure you have done seeing as you have fridged your Axolotls for 4 weeks.

If you feel offended by my last post then I apologise.

EmbryH

Reaction score
i had tried earthworms as well for 2 weeks, they ate them but didnt help any for the period i tested.

Any period you tested? It takes a while to put weight on an axolotl, but earthworms are the best you can give them. As others have said, the foods you've been giving them aren't enough for adult axolotls, and once again I still have no idea why people ever thought beef hearts were a good idea. It's no wonder you've had weight issues; the food you're giving them literally is not nutritious enough.

I'd suggest taking them out of the fridge (8c for four weeks???? I don't keep mine in the fridge for more than 4 days MAX, and they're only in there if I'm worried about health issues) and go back to feeding it earthworms. Try a nice fat worm once a day or every other day, and don't stop after two weeks. You have to actually stick to it for the food to work :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1