Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Its been an interesting day, with caudates with lost appendages

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So today on another herping trip I found two caudates ( and then three more while walking back to the house, funny how that works :frog:).
But it was probably the weirdest one in a while. The two I found while actually looking in the woods were both missing appendages! And I felt especially bad for the first one.

So the first on I found was a male A. gracile, but not a happy one I am sure. He was missing about half his tail! I felt so bad. I mean he'd probably rather loose a leg that half his tail! I mean all a male caudata has for manliness is his cloaca and his tail, and this guys missing half of it. If salamanders could laugh, I am sure this guy would practically get laughed out of the breeding grounds. Plus with only half a tail it would make it pretty hard to swim, compete with other males, and I doubt anybody will actually want to breed with him this year.

And the second was a female A. gracile, with a missing toe. Not nearly as big of a deal. But still, it makes me wonder how both of these salamanders lost their appendage in the first place? Weird?

I don't know, I just thought it was kind of weird, and wanted to share some pictures.

The first two are the male, second two are the female.

Enjoy! -Seth

Attachments

• P1140698.jpg
    P1140698.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 291
  • P1140701.jpg
    P1140701.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 266
  • P1140707.jpg
    P1140707.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 239
  • P1140709.jpg
    P1140709.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 240

Yahilles

Reaction score
Well, that's not really hard to figure out... the tail or fingertips were bitten off by a predator?

sde

Reaction score
The tail maybe, but I cant figure out what would be small enough to bit off just a finger? Maybe when it was underground it was bitten/attacked by a shrew or something.

The one with the missing tail might just be a lucky survivor of a car "attack" ( a car might have ran over his tail ). Or maybe it was bitten off by a raccoon of something. Hard to say.

sde

Reaction score
That could definitely be. I wonder how long it will take for it to grow back? And I wonder if one missing toe hampers it much at all? -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1