New to axolotls, please help!

Prototype

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey there,
So I've just been given a friends full tank set up including two beautiful 2yo axies!
I picked them up in a smaller tank and the bigger tank had everything already set up. After I filled up the tank with dechlorinated water and got the filter going (was kept wet on the journey) I put the two axies in as they are both too big for the smaller one and didn't have much space to move. After researching on here extensively I bought a water test kit and found these parameter 4 days after setting it up;
Ammonia: 4.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 40.0 ppm
Ph: 7.2
Temp: 23*C

From what I read the ammonia and nitrite should be zero and the temp should be no where near that high. What should I do?

So far I've been doing 50% water changes and have introduced thoroughly washed driftwood and purple waffle plant to help and also added stress zone and the neutral regulated by seachem to help the cycle and remove ammonia etc

I don't know if it's okay to put ice in it to bring the temp down? Or should I remove the two axies and put them in the smaller tank doing 100% changes each day? Just want to know what's best as I am already so attached to these two!!

Thanks heaps!
8yqyzygy.jpg
eda4a4yz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes, those levels are high! Keep doing frequent water changes with dechlorinated water until they come down. I would skip any extra balancing chemicals etc, those generally aren't good for axies though I'm not familiar with that particular product.

As for cooling the tank, absolutely do not put ice in the water! It swings the temp too quickly and will just cause stress. A good way to cool a tank is to get a fan and direct it across the water (not directly at the water) and that should bring your temp down a few degrees.

I would also remove that rock substrate from the tank right away. They look just about small enough to be swallowed and this poses a serious risk to your axolotls. They WILL swallow anything smaller than their head.

Thanks I've taken then both out and put them in the smaller tank so that I can make sure the big tank is perfect for them but they just seem so miserable, they won't eat now and they are barely moving except for slight movement every few minute :( I'd thought they'd eaten there bloodworms last night but found them hidden under the log.. Just tried to give them some now and they completely ignored it. I don't have access to a fan until late tomorrow, is there a way I can bring the temp down without one??

Wastes will just build up faster in the smaller tank :( once you do water changes I think they'd be better in the big one.

Axies aren't terribly active anyway, so the lack of movement shouldn't be too worrying. They're like underwater sloths, lol.
You're feeding them bloodworms? Those aren't great nutrition for an adult axie. The best food for them is earthworms. I'd give those a try to see if they're more interested. :)
You should be fine to get the fan tomorrow, your temp isn't catastrophically high. And again rushing to lower it will just cause stress as the temp swings suddenly.

You can also try moving the smaller tank to a cooler area of your house. By the floor is cooler, as is the basement etc.

Thank you very very much, I'll get two small fans tomorrow oh and I took the stones out too :) I've been trying and trying to get them to eat earthworms but they just won't eat them! The bloodworms were the only thing they would eat when I first got them but I'll keep trying to persuade them!
Being older will they not move as much as the younger juvies??

Sounds good :)

Keep trying with the earthworms, they'll eventually get hungry and go for it. You can also try blanching the worms first.

Yep older lotls are pretty lazy lol. They'll sit in one place for hours.

As for cooling the tank, absolutely do not put ice in the water! It swings the temp too quickly and will just cause stress. A good way to cool a tank is to get a fan and direct it across the water (not directly at the water) and that should bring your temp down a few degrees.

The ice bottle method is effective if you have the appropriate ice to water volume ratio. I put 2 2L bottles in my 45 gallon and brings it down a few degrees in a few hours. Just be aware you have to be diligent with changing the bottles over, so have a few handy in the freezer :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back