Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with Axolotl tank

leandrah

Reaction score
Hello,
I was hoping someone could give me some advice,

I have sand on the bottom of my Axolotl tank, and to put it bluntly - I am sick of it. I can't do proper water changes because it keeps sucking the sand up.

Has anyone tried to put Clay Tiles in the bottom of their Axy tank?
Would it be suitable or not?

HayleyK

Reaction score
People do use slate tiles just be careful gunk doesn't get stuck under it.

To tank out the sand siphon a bunch of it with each water change to avoid crashing the cycle or stuffing up your parameters :)

leandrah

Reaction score
Hi Hayley,
thank you :)

I am going to pack them in pretty tightly with aquarium silicone so I dont think gunk will get stuck underneath them :).
I have quite a few ornaments and live plants in my tank as well as 2 filters that are fully established.

If I put all of these things in tank water and take all of the sand out and add dechlornated water to the tank, will this make the cycle crash? - as I was under the impression it would still be fine because of all of my different structures?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Can you make a thread / post when you do I'm curious to try it but still unsure :lol:

leandrah

Reaction score
Yeah of course I will

I am thinking of doing slate all along the bottom, and along the back of the tank too. I'll use aquarium silicone to stick it down,

I'm going to do it this weekend, I'll definitely let you know how it goes :) YAY so exciting for the little Axies hahaha

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Depending on what type of aquarium silicone you use it will be at least 24-48 hours for it to fully cure. If you can get a large plastic tub to keep your ornaments, axolotls, and plants in while also being able to let the filters run it will prevent them from just sitting in uncirculating tank water which will kill your bacteria after a certain time. Large plastic bins are pretty cheap and it will always be like a backup tank in case you need it.
Make sure you dry your tank completely before you use the silicone :)

leandrah

Reaction score
Hey Boomsloth, I set up another tank for them last night, I put one of their filters in there, and 4 of their ornaments :) as well as some of their sand. This is just temporary until Sunday. I put the guppies in there too (The ones that were in the Axolotl Tank), and they looked perfect this morning.

I have decided to use clay tiles on the bottom rather, (They have not been treated with chemicals), reason being is that the slate here breaks away after it has been in water for a while - and I dont want any of my Axies to eat a piece of broken slate because it will kill them from the sharpness.

Do you think clay would be fine?

leandrah

Reaction score
The Marine Silicone says that it will be fully cured in 24 hours, should I still leave it for 48 hours?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Hey Boomsloth, I set up another tank for them last night, I put one of their filters in there, and 4 of their ornaments :) as well as some of their sand. This is just temporary until Sunday. I put the guppies in there too (The ones that were in the Axolotl Tank), and they looked perfect this morning.

I have decided to use clay tiles on the bottom rather, (They have not been treated with chemicals), reason being is that the slate here breaks away after it has been in water for a while - and I dont want any of my Axies to eat a piece of broken slate because it will kill them from the sharpness.

Do you think clay would be fine?
good! idk too much about the tiles except that the clay ones might affect the pH. Luckily you can test your pH before you even put the axolotls in.
The Marine Silicone says that it will be fully cured in 24 hours, should I still leave it for 48 hours?
I always go by 48 hours just to be safe, especially since amphibians are a little more sensitive.

auntiejude

Reaction score

Aquarium silicone uses vinegar as a solvent - you need to leave it 48 hours in a tank to ensure it has all evaporated. And work outside - it stinks!

leandrah

Reaction score
Hello :)
Its been 48 Hours,
I am going to add the water in later and only add the Axolotls in later in the week

I am not too worried about the PH as mine can go up a little, but I will definitely test it tomorrow once everything has settled. I'll post pictures up tomorrow :)

HayleyK

Reaction score
I know it's not good for me but I love the smell of silicone. It's like strong vinegar, makes me crave hot chips... :lol:

Can't wait to see it!

leandrah

Reaction score
Here is a little preview :)
It doesn't look that great because it still needs all of the decorations and stuff.

I also took thin tubing (The tubing that you put on airstones), and i siliconed it around the tank so that you cant see it and so that the airstones don't have random piping in the tank (Does this make sense?)

And I siliconed the plant cups down so that when i buy new plants - I can just put them in there and the Axolots can't knock them over :)

Its still messy and I need to clean up the excess silicone

Let me know what you guys think!
PS - the tiles are all the same size - doesn't look like it in the picture though

Attachments

• IMG-20140308-03415.jpg
    IMG-20140308-03415.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG-20140308-03416.jpg
    IMG-20140308-03416.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 184
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1