Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl w/ burping problem

Natalie

Reaction score
She has gas for 10 days now. Gradated water level, used few drops of esha-2000, and put her outside. Anything else I can do?:(

Kaini

Reaction score
You... Used what and did what? Put her outside? What does that mean? What is esha-2000? Generally you shouldn't add chemicals or medications to your tank unless advised by a vet...

EmbryH

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you mean by "burping problem." Is she going to the surface and gulping air a lot?

You shouldn't be adding any kind of medicines to your tank without first seeing a vet; most fish medicines are toxic to axolotls.

E

Elise

Discontinue the use of Esha2000 immediately.

6.3 mg ethacridine lactate (Rivanol)
1 mg proflavin
3.2 mg copper 2+
0.26 mg methyl orange

All of these ingredients are toxic to amphibians and can cause death if used.

Kaini

Reaction score
Yikes there you have it, that's toxic to Axies! Do a 100% water change and/or get her into a tub of brand new, dechlorinated water! And from now on, no chemicals or medications unless instructed by a vet.

Natalie

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you mean by "burping problem." Is she going to the surface and gulping air a lot?

You shouldn't be adding any kind of medicines to your tank without first seeing a vet; most fish medicines are toxic to axolotls.

She is periodically at the surface "gulping", but regardless, there are usually (for 10 days) bubbles just above her gills or mouth.

I read that the green and blue colorants were toxic for them, but the orange stuff was alright. I have been using it for hundreds of salamanders w/o a problem (that I noticed), but I did a 100% H2O change. I don't know what folks with dogs and cats do, but I found that 1 bill to the exotic vet was 3 - 6 times the price of my amphibian:eek:.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Ok, just to be clear, the issue that you're trying to treat here is that she has bubbles around her gills and mouth? Can you post pictures?

Have you observed any behavior that indicates she's stressed? What are your tank parameters?

Natalie

Reaction score
Ok, just to be clear, the issue that you're trying to treat here is that she has bubbles around her gills and mouth? Can you post pictures?

Have you observed any behavior that indicates she's stressed? What are your tank parameters?

Gas - burping is only a symptom. I can't post pictures tonight because it's dark outside. Her curved tail indicated she was stressed. When I lowered the water level so she stopped tipping over from the gas, cooled down her environment, her tail straightened and she looks much more at ease. I bought a kit to test the tank parameters a year ago, and used it once. This is probably the situation to use it:cool:. Because it's night and I need to go to bed, I'll look for it tomorrow. Thank you.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I bought a kit to test the tank parameters a year ago, and used it once. This is probably the situation to use it:cool:.

It is better to test the water parameters on a regular basis even if you are not seeing any problems with your axolotl. Prevention is always better than cure and testing the water quality regularly will enable you to ensure the water quality is good and you can correct problems before it harms your axolotl. Once a year or only when a problem occurs is not enough. I would at least test the water once a week.

Some medicines may not show their toxicity straight away or cause more long term damage to organs and may not show outwardly. It is best to avoid known toxic ingredients even if you haven't seen an issue using it.

Natalie

Reaction score
Prevention is always better than cure and testing the water quality regularly will enable you to ensure the water quality is good and you can correct problems before it harms your axolotl.

It is best to avoid known toxic ingredients even if you haven't seen an issue using it.

I took a plastic aquarium plant out which I recently bought, because I noticed it is attached to a stone of unknown mineral origin. I will cut it off before the plant goes back in.

But none of this caused the gas, I think it was from giving her a double serving of worms (from my wormcompost bin) which probably had unhealthy bacteria in their stomachs.

Natalie

Reaction score
Did you check the water parameters? Also, what's the temperature of the tank? Have you got any pictures of the axolotl?

I have no camera. Not very good w/ these kinds of tests. Just tried it twice! I guess that's why I didn't do it in 1 year! The key is really confusing! Seems like:

NO2 10 mg/L
NO3 0
GDH >7
DT between <6 and >7, but not >14
TH between <6 and >14, but not >21
Carbonate hardness has KH and TAC. I guess the 1st one on the chart is KH:confused: which reads 6. The 2nd which must be TAC was 6.4

Chlorine was unreadable - yellow with blue around edges, but I use filtered water.
Her water is 9 C now, with a drop to about 3 C planned for tonight. My partner doesn't want animals in the refrigerator, the least reason being that we don't eat animals;) Should I bring her inside now?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I wouldnt use filtered water as axolotls like hard water. I would also say it is probably a good idea to bring your axolotl inside as 3 is to low for him.. I would say your nitrite is high, though i am not familiar (i use ppm) but you want your no2 0 regardless.

What are you using to test your water? Test strips are highly inaccurate. I would recommend a liquid testing kit to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

Natalie

Reaction score
I wouldnt use filtered water as axolotls like hard water. I would also say it is probably a good idea to bring your axolotl inside as 3 is to low for him.. I would say your nitrite is high, though i am not familiar (i use ppm) but you want your no2 0 regardless.

What are you using to test your water? Test strips are highly inaccurate. I would recommend a liquid testing kit to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

I just use one of those Brita pitchers with activated charcoal filter - that softens the water?? I will bring her in. I say "her" because the axolotl has mothered hundreds of babies - but we've never spoken about gender - it could feel transgendered:wacko:. Jeez I didn't know there were other testing methods - in the future I think I'll stick to terrestrial species.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I use API freshwater master kit to test my water. It is a liquid test kit that measures ammonia, PH, nitrite and nitrate. I would recommend getting it if you can. I find it quite easy to use. I would also not use any filter that softens the water given that axolotls like hard water.

Also there is no need to refrigerate axolotls unless for certain illnesses etc. the ideal temperature for axolotls to be kept in is 16-18.

I am used to reading chemical analysis in ppm but from what I can tell from your results, your tank is not cycled. You will need to keep a very close eye on the water parameters. Spikes of chemicals such as ammonia and nitrite that happen during the cycling process can harm your axolotl and water changes will need to be done to bring the levels down. A cycled tank will read 0 ammonia and nitrite and <40 nitrate in ppm.

Natalie

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that after keeping her outside for 24 hours, she is no longer floating uncontrollably or belching, and I was able to fill the water back to its normal depth. Thank you everybody:D!

Natalie

Reaction score
I use API freshwater master kit to test my water. It is a liquid test kit that measures ammonia, PH, nitrite and nitrate. I would recommend getting it if you can. I find it quite easy to use. I would also not use any filter that softens the water given that axolotls like hard water.

Also there is no need to refrigerate axolotls unless for certain illnesses etc. the ideal temperature for axolotls to be kept in is 16-18.

I am used to reading chemical analysis in ppm but from what I can tell from your results, your tank is not cycled. You will need to keep a very close eye on the water parameters. Spikes of chemicals such as ammonia and nitrite that happen during the cycling process can harm your axolotl and water changes will need to be done to bring the levels down. A cycled tank will read 0 ammonia and nitrite and <40 nitrate in ppm.[/QUOd this. TE

Sorry, just read this. I'm pretty sure she had unhealthy bacteria in her gut from the worms in my compost bucket which is
why I tried cooling her.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I always say only fridge an axolotl in a life or death situation. Fridging can be stressful as it slows their metabolism down. Pretty much heat and if you are waiting to bring it to the vet because they may not live long enough to make it to the appointment due to a bacterial or viral infection.

Skudo09

Reaction score
My apologies, I mis understood your post. I read it as she was normally kept outside :-/. Glad to hear she is back to normal again :). I agree with Alkylhalide though and personally would not have fridged her for this issue. But she is inside now and acting normal which is good. I would still suggest you purchase a liquid test kit such as the API one and start testing with this kit asap, particularly given your tank appears to be not cycled.

Last edited:

xxianxx

Reaction score
I think nat sticking his bloated axolotl outside in the cold was the correct one, its what I would have recommended to receive some of the internal pressure from the gasbuild up. I would be concerned that a return to warmer water could trigger another attack, if that happens another trip outside followed by a gradual return to warmer water over a couple of weeks to allow the digestive system to sort it self out.
The med you used nat, you said you have used it 100s of times, what's the back story on that ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1