Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Pantyhose Baffle (rubber bands)??

Swampie

Reaction score
I have an internal whisper filter, and want to use it in my axolotl tank. On my previous tank, I have cut up a plastic water bottle, used part of it for my output baffle, and put the other over my intake (after I stabbed a few holes in it).

The issue is the intake baffle sometimes gets moved (IDK how?) and it increases the flow in the tank.

I've read that people use pantyhose as a baffle for bettas and such, so I thought it was worth a shot. I'm out of zip ties, but have large rubber bands. Is rubber safe to use inside the tank?

Kaini

Reaction score
As far as I know rubber bands are safe to use in fish tanks (I use one to keep my thermometer on its suction cup, long story) they just degrade over time and should be replaced or they'll break.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1