Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can my albino axolotl see.

Jackie

Reaction score
Hello can someone tell me if my Albino Axolotl can see? they seem to be slower at getting to the food dish than Slash the brown speckled one.
Thanks
Jackie.

Dragonfire

Reaction score
Re: Axolotl Site Updates

Hello can someone tell me if my Albino Axolotl can see? they seem to be slower at getting to the food dish than Slash the brown speckled one.
Thanks
Jackie.

They seem to have even worse Vision than darker axies which already have bad vision but they can see to some extent.

Jackie

Reaction score
Thank you Dragonfire.

I was also wondering about their diet? do they need greens as well as protein? right now I am just feeding shrimp pellets in the morning and frozen blood worms at night should I be giving them vegetation? can they get constipated as I see one of mine has poo and it seems kinda stuck?:confused:

Any thoughts?

Thanks Jackie.

Skudo09

Reaction score
Thank you Dragonfire.

I was also wondering about their diet? do they need greens as well as protein? right now I am just feeding shrimp pellets in the morning and frozen blood worms at night should I be giving them vegetation? can they get constipated as I see one of mine has poo and it seems kinda stuck?:confused:

Any thoughts?

Thanks Jackie.

Axolotls are carnivorous so they require a meat based diet. They would not benefit from greens and would not thrive on a vegetarian diet. Earthworms are the best staple food for axolotls. I am not sure how big your axolotl is but for an adult axolotl, bloodworm isn't enough nutrient wise. From 3 inches up I would feed earthworms as their staple diet.

Axolotls can become constipated. I have not ever encounted this issue before so someone with more experience could assist you with treatment of constipation. What do you mean by stuck?

Jackie

Reaction score
Hello Dragonfire.

He/she seemed to pass the stuck poo so I am not worried any more however they are almost three inches long now. But living in Canada the perma frost is six feet deep so there are no available earth worms now. Can I feed compost red wigglers? there is someone here in Winnipeg that breeds them? for composting.
I am looking to buy them a new house/tank as they are growing very fast.
Cheers
Jackie.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Red wigglers have a foul taste, so most axolotls won't eat them. You can order earthworms online and start your own little farm of them.

There's a farming guide here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1