Question: Super big axoltol ??

gothchameleon

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
Elo all, we've had axolotls for a few years now and our big fell (moomin, a lusitic) is about 13intchs long so is massive in every way, so we then raised another from eggs and got another (1x wild, and another luisitic) but over the past year or so the two newer ones have been kept separate and are no where near Moomins size , about 3 quarters or so !
We are moving to an apartment so planed on having one large tank 200lt + as room is dissapering ,to house all 3 plus theres one being donated to us.. we have kinda become a axolotl rescue lol :rolleyes:
if any one has any ideas?
anyone had simlar issues?
we aint gonna get rid of moomin as he is our oldest and first and as my missus has allergys axolotls our her perfect pets :D maybie slightly obsessive

What's the difference in cms? You can try a divider in your tank and slowly introduce them to each other. Or leave the divider in forever if she's too big :lol: I've got an 18cm with a 15cm lotl which is a littl close to 3/4 of the bigger one and no issues. There's usually no problems if all lotls have enough space, hides and food.

well probbily about 34cm/36cm but hes just massive, width as well, and the other two are about 2 therds that and not as chunky,
the big fella is in a 120lt tank the other 2 are in a 65lt+ tank, there happy in there but i can see the big fella watching them almost looking lonley as the tanks are next to eatch other, hence the reason id love to put them all together in one big axiolotl click! .. or he could be sizeing them up for snacks lol, mine all live off a diet of worms/liver/ pellets, a diet only a bodybuilder would love ;)

It's hard to say, my 15 still looks like a juvie and the other is full grown so his head width is a lot smaller (but won't be gobbled up!). I think your best bet is putting them in the one tank, using a divider so they can see each other and after a whole remove the divider and monitor their behavior, if all is good - all is good. If there's snapping and missing body parts you'll just need to put the divider back in. P.s I hope you feed liver as a treat!

why as a treat ? ive been feeling my axolotls liver and hart as a main dietry sorce as (calves liver) as it has a large lean protein and iron content with less fat of any other food sorce ( other tha worms ) and that most pellets i found are made for salmon, witch contains massive fat,fish and unnatural sourced content, but i will give them due to vitamin content,
is there anything else u recomend as a food sorce? obviously the juveniles i fed on daphnia and then blood worms to begin

Liver isn't as bad and yes they are high in proteins but low in other nutritional values. Earthworms are the best staple so I would recommend sticking to that. Also worms are a lot closer to a wild axolotls diet, I doubt they would be finding much beef heart or liver in the wild :lol:. It seems to be working for you however in most axolotls it can cause many problems and most keepers advise against it. Like I mentioned above axolotls wouldn't usually come across mammilian meat in the wild so why feed them some unnatural. There's been a post previously on an axolotl that had been eating pork and it bloated like something I've never seen before, it literally looked like it was about to pop!

Just thought I would warn you of the potential dangers.

TLDR; earthworms are best!

Check out this article.
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

Last edited:
13" is a good size for an axolotl, you forgot to put some pics up BTW. Mixing axolotls of different sizes can be risky, if the smaller ones are 3\4 the size of moomin I wouldn't bother trying, they may be ok but they may lose some limbs. Worms are fine as a food source.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back