Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axolotls! Need advice on everything!

giventofly

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just decided to get some axolotls - I'm really excited! Basically, I need advice one everything:

I have a ten gallon aquarium with a filter. I added dechlorinated water to it and am going to let it run for a full week before I add any axies. The tank is in my living room and it isn't near any direct sunlight. The room stays pretty cool even in the summer - around 69-70 degrees.

What substrate should I buy? I'm a little nervous about sand because some say it's hard to clean. I was thinking of getting rocks/pebbles (definitely big enough so they can't swallow them).

Where would I buy a little hiding place for them? I found this one on Amazon: Amazon.com: Exo Terra Reptile Cave, Medium: Pet Supplies

Finally, I need to actually buy some axolotls! If anyone has any suggestions of breeders on here that have some available, let me know. I'm located in Ohio.

Thank you!!

Kaini

Reaction score
I suggest you read up on aquarium cycling - it will take longer than a week and it won't happen simply by letting the tank sit. Here's a good article:Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

You need to cycle your tank before getting your Axolotl. Knowledge of tank cycling and water parameters is important to keeping any aquatic life. Cycling can take 3-4 weeks.

Edit: also, I wouldn't have any more than one Axolotl in a ten gallon.
You also may want to think about getting a fan - 70 is just on the edge of the acceptable temperature range for axies.

For a juvenile axie it's best to just leave the tank bare bottom. Large stones harbor waste and sand can be dangerous when ingested to babies - it's better for when they get older.

There are plenty of breeders in the for sale USA section of the forum here for you to choose from when you're ready for your axie :)

giventofly

Reaction score
I suggest you read up on aquarium cycling - it will take longer than a week and it won't happen simply by letting the tank sit. Here's a good article:Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

You need to cycle your tank before getting your Axolotl. Knowledge of tank cycling and water parameters is important to keeping any aquatic life. Cycling can take 3-4 weeks.

Edit: also, I wouldn't have any more than one Axolotl in a ten gallon.
You also may want to think about getting a fan - 70 is just on the edge of the acceptable temperature range for axies.

For a juvenile axie it's best to just leave the tank bare bottom. Large stones harbor waste and sand can be dangerous when ingested to babies - it's better for when they get older.

There are plenty of breeders in the for sale USA section of the forum here for you to choose from when you're ready for your axie :)

Thank you for the advice! I forgot to mention that the tank I'm using right now used to have freshwater fish in it. I just sold the fish yesterday and completely cleaned out the tank and gravel. I realize now I probably should have kept some of the tank water instead of doing a 100% water change. I did, however, keep the filter materials from the fish tank.I put the filter materials in a bowl of the old aquarium water while I cleaned the tank out to keep in the beneficial bacteria and then put the filter media back in when I started running the filter again. Will this help cycle the tank?

Kaini

Reaction score
Do you test your water parameters? Without an ammonia source in the tank (such as fish) right now the bacteria are going to die right off way before you get your axolotl, unfortunately. You'll probably have to cycle the tank again. The bacteria has a life of about an hour outside a running tank, even in a bowl of water. So I'm going to guess your cycle is crashed.

By the way, 100% changes don't crash your cycle, the bacteria lives in the filter media, not the water x)

But yes used filter media will help cycle your tank if its viable! You just need an ammonia source.

giventofly

Reaction score
Do you test your water parameters? Without an ammonia source in the tank (such as fish) right now the bacteria are going to die right off way before you get your axolotl, unfortunately. You'll probably have to cycle the tank again. The bacteria has a life of about an hour outside a running tank, even in a bowl of water. So I'm going to guess your cycle is crashed.

By the way, 100% changes don't crash your cycle, the bacteria lives in the filter media, not the water x)

But yes used filter media will help cycle your tank if its viable! You just need an ammonia source.

Darn. Well, it sounds like I'll be fully cycling the tank before I add any axies! I'm actually leaving my house at college to go home for spring break so I was planning on letting the tank just sit to cycle. But it sounds like I do indeed need an ammonia source, as you said, or my tank won't cycle just by sitting there. There won't be anyone here to feed fish while I'm gone so fish are basically out of the picture. Reading the article you referenced, though, it sounds like I could do a "fishless" cycle by adding pure ammonia. I'll need to buy a test kit - I don't have one right now.

Thanks for the continued advice!

Kaini

Reaction score
You are correct in all of that! You'll need a test kit and fishless cycling is definitely the way to go. :) if you need clearing up on anything feel free to poke me! Good luck. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!