Tank cycling - where is the nitrite?

tinyali

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been setting up a tank, doing a fishless cycle, I put the ammonia source in about 3 weeks ago. My nitrite level has stayed firmly stuck at 0, but I do have nitrate present, which is confusing me! Is my cycle working or not? I'm using the api master test kit and the temperature of the tank is steady at 17deg C. Any ideas?

What is your current ammonia level? If it's 0, then just add a new ammonia source and keep a close eye as it should turn into nitrite. After all it can't magically turn into nitrate and that way you've confirmation that it's working.

What is your ammonia source and also what is your current ammonia reading?

I used frozen brine shrimp as my ammonia source, and my current ammonia level is 0.5 ppm. It was higher and then dropped down to this level, so something must be 'eating' it surely? By the way, there are no live plants in this tank. I just don't understand how I could have nitrate without going through the nitrite stage... At first I thought there might be something wrong with the test kit, but everything is still in date. I will add some more ammonia and see if I can get it back on track.

I used frozen brine shrimp as my ammonia source, and my current ammonia level is 0.5 ppm. It was higher and then dropped down to this level, so something must be 'eating' it surely? By the way, there are no live plants in this tank. I just don't understand how I could have nitrate without going through the nitrite stage... At first I thought there might be something wrong with the test kit, but everything is still in date. I will add some more ammonia and see if I can get it back on track.

Test kits can fail if they are left open for too long or not properly shaken. If its possible you can just get a liquid nitrite kit and try that out or bring it to a store and ask specifically for nitrite results.

Just a thought - did you test the nitrate levels of your plain water straight out of the tap? There can sometimes be more than you think. What you need to look for in that case is nitrate readings in the tank which are above that of the plain water. Don't assume the water you put in didn't have nitrates in to start with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back