Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help! Tails falling off?!

Prototype

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I got my two, 2yo axies last week and they came with a complete set up. I set up their tank and filter which was kept wet on the journey and popped them in not really knowing that I should have let it cycle.

I've since taken them out and were keeping them in a smaller tank but in the last couple of days have been keeping them in separate containers doing 100% water changes everyday because the levels in the big tank were so high.

Big tank atm is

Ammonia: 0.15ppm
Nitrite: 0.5ppm
Nitrate: 30ppm
Ph: 7

They were playing a lot 3 days ago and then I noticed the following day that both of their tails had a little rear and you could see the blood vessels, I thought they'd just played too rough but in the days since they've actually started to just fall off I don't know how else to explain it. They also have refused to eat, even bloodworms which I was told were their favorite :(

I read on here to do tea baths and when I change their waters I've been putting them in a bucket of that but I don't know what else to do? Or even what's causing it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long essay lol
esejy3y8.jpg
y4u9e3u8.jpg
senyqupe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
It should heal on it's own but you can add (cool) tea straight to the tank or use Indian almond leaves in their tank. Make sure their parameters are best you can keep them whilst mid cycle, and keep the tank cool. I've noticed you live in Australia too and it is quite warm today and I can't see any way you're keeping the tank cool so what temperature is your tank sitting at?

Higher temperature and atress can make an axolotl lose it's appetite. Keep offering food and I suggest you switch to earthworms rather than bloodworms, they are more nutritionally balanced for an adult. You can try blanching earthworms if they don't accept them at first as the excretion and fight might put them off.

Prototype

Reaction score
I have a desk fan and I wrap the tank with a frozen tea towel and that seems to pull the temp down to 22 which is still high but it's the best I can get today.. (I took them off just while I took the photo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
You can try freezing bottles of water to help but because the tanks are quite small the ice bottles can't be too big or it'll drop it down too rapidly. You also need to be diligent with swapping over ice bottles. 22 is still high and could be the reason it's not accepting food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!