Question: Feeder fish

Janilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning on getting Axolotls at some point, but for starters I am going to be getting some White Cloud Minnows and Ghost Shrimp. I need to quarantine them to look for any possible diseases and parasites, but I am not completely sure what kinds of signs to look for in these two species, that's basically what I'm asking!

What kinds of symptoms and signs should I look for while they're quarantined? What are some signs/symptoms of parasites and disease?

Thank you for your help!
As an aside, if this isn't the correct section for this please feel free to move it!

I would quarantine for a good few weeks. Any general signs of sickness I would avoid using that batch. Floating, upside down, floating on the sude, lethargic behaviour, uncoordinated behaviour etc. would be signs to look out for.
I would also look into setting up a worm farm for earthworms as it is a more suitable staple diet and will save you big bucks.

I would quarantine for a good few weeks. Any general signs of sickness I would avoid using that batch. Floating, upside down, floating on the sude, lethargic behaviour, uncoordinated behaviour etc. would be signs to look out for.
I would also look into setting up a worm farm for earthworms as it is a more suitable staple diet and will save you big bucks.

Totally agree! but also look at the condition the fish and shrimp are in before you buy. If you see any dead floating then most likely avoid buying. I kept my shrimp quarantined for about a month before I felt safe with adding them.
Start a worm farm now because it'll take about a month for you to start producing babies that you can feed to your axolotls. I started mine with 120 worms and found was going through them too fast so I bought another 120, I'm also feeding 9 hungry axolotls and soon to be 4 acf.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back