Chytrid questions

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hey all,

So, I have a lot of questions about Chytrid.

The first and main question is this; Is there a way for me to tell if an amphibian has Chytrid? I have heard of testing for it, but can that be done by and amateur? From my small knowledge of Chytrid I understand that it attacks the keratin in the skin, leading to sever problems. But is there a way to tell by simply looking at the amphibian? Would the skin show certain characteristics because of Chytrid ( dryness roughness etc. )?

Secondly, if I can tell if a amphibian has Chytrid, what should I do? Should I simply leave the animal? ( I'm guessing not ). Should I treat it? Should I put it out of its misery ( euthanasia )?

I really want to help in the protection of amphibians from Chytrid, as I understand that it is causing global declines.

So what can I do to help?

-Seth

It's my understanding that chytrid is not easily cured. Medications that are effective in killing the fungus, can also have the same effect on the animal. And most amphibians cannot tolerate the temperatures used in heat therapy.

Funny you should bring this up, we have been discussing the effects of chytrid on metamorphosis in my evolution of vertebrates class. My professor suggested we read this article on wikipedia Chytridiomycosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a better understanding that our textbook could not provide

Thanks for the info smurfrider!

Much appreciated.

All thoughts/info is welcome :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back