Question: New Axie Worry

PippaAngel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey. I have a 6 month old Axolotl. Not long ago i asked what would be the best companion for her. I follow the advice given and brought my second axolotl yesterday. He is eating well but when he swims he turns upside down. My other axolotl has never done this. Does anyone know the reason for this??

What do you mean turns upside down? Like floats upside down? Or twists and turns when he swims around? Is it frantic swimming? Could you post a photo or video to help understand what you mean?

If he flips back up the right way himself I wouldn't worry too much, my axolotl can end up upside down too sometimes especially if he's gone up for a gulp and floated back down when he hits the sand he sometimes ends up in his back but will wiggle back to normal.

I don't have a picture or video of him yet. I'll try and get one soon. He doesn't actually float upside down. It happenen when he swims or goes up for air. Like yours he'll land upsidedown sometimes then wriggle the right way up. He appear to be a little of balence, and takes to standing at an angle.

Sadly it's not the best pic. Still waiting for my camera to be fix. Axolotl.jpg

Yeah axolotls aren't the brightest animals I would say that's normal :) like I said, unless he is extremely uncoordinated and can't right himself, it's fine :D

My two stand like that all the time, especially first thing in the morning for some reason. I did wonder if it means they are asleep or something.

My albino seems prone to this too. Some axolotls are 'floaters,' which means they're genetically predisposed to floating because they gulp air from the surface and struggle to get it back out again - 'trapped wind,' if you will. It usually comes out by itself when they use the little axxies' room! When this air is in their tummies they might float sideways, stand with one or both legs raised, or their bottoms may float (another cause for this is constipation) but this tends to sort itself out.
My axxie usually stands like that post-breakfast or when she has trapped wind. It's a 'dealing with something in my tummy' pose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back