Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How far is too far? Moving my axie... 11,400 miles.

georgemichael

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read on forums that axolotl owners who moved houses (between states, even!) have successfully moved their pet axolotls with them. People have also had axolotls couriered to them, and in one case, someone has had their axolotls in tupperware containers for over 12 hours and have had no problems.

This is where I want advice from as many axolotl owners as possible.

I am in Wellington, New Zealand. At the end of this year, I may be moving to Cambridge, UK.

To the best of my knowledge, UK has no animal health import requirements for amphibians. According to the Department of Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs, "These animals can be brought into the UK as long as they are accompanied by their owner and a letter from a vet or the owner saying that the animals are fit and healthy to complete the journey. Up to 5 pet invertebrates, pet reptiles and pet amphibians which are accompanied by their owner do not need to undergo veterinary checks on entry into the UK and therefore they do not need to be imported via a Border Inspection Post (BIP). However you should contact the airline to ensure that they are prepared to carry the animal(s)." - (Pet invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles « Imports/exports)

While the axolotl is an endangered species, there is no import ban on axolotls into the UK according to the CITES website.

For those of you who have moved your axolotls, I would like your opinion on the risk of having an axolotl travel this far, either with an airline willing to travel with an amphibian, or with a pet transportation company.

My first and best solution (maybe my ONLY solution, logically) thus far is to give my axolotl to an experienced axolotl owner in New Zealand, someone who loves axolotls and would want to provide a home for a 2 year old axolotl.

On the odd day when I'm feeling rather sentimental (usually happens when I'm watching my axolotl swimming around in his tank, generally bumping into the walls and his ornaments), I think to myself, "This is incredibly selfish of me and most definitely dangerous for him, but I wonder if he can make the journey?"
I understand it will be highly stressful, there is always the risk of death in transit, and really, I should just find him a new home where he can grow old and not be in the care of his psychotic first owner who wanted to move him 11 thousand miles.

Has anyone moved their axolotls between countries?
Is it really a death wish for your axolotl?
Or are they actually quite hardy and will be okay with the right traveling conditions?
Has anyone ever had an axolotl couriered to them from another country?
Is there anybody based in the UK who can confirm what I read on the importation regulations of axolotls?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right on the import info, the only restriction would be on GFP (they are illegal in the UK as a GMO). But there may be some paperwork to do.

Have you ever watched a bottle of water expand and collapse on a plane? Have you felt your ears pop? I'm not sure an axie would cope - or even survive - with the changes in pressure on a plane.

In all honesty I would not want to subject an axie to the trauma of such a long journey by air, I would leave him in the care of another owner. If you find the right person I'm sure they would send you updates if you wanted. And there are plenty of axies available in the UK, if your move is permanent it wouldn't be too difficult to set up a new tank here.

I know it's heartbreaking to leave a loved pet behind, but I really think it would be best to leave your axie in NZ.

leandrah

Reaction score
I unfortunately agree with Auntiejude, I think that you should leave your Axie behind and get a new one in the UK - So many people are selling them there and you wont have a problem getting another one.

Its heartbreaking but it would more than likely be best

snuggly time

Reaction score
I would take a look at the conditions on the aircraft and how the animals are transported. Maybe contact the airline and ask for all the details.. One of the most important being temperature, movement and how long the axie would be kept in the same water before it can be given clean water.

My axolotl is very stressed on the few car journeys I've taken him on. Based on what I've seen I don't think it would be fair on them.

But I do feel for you having to think about giving him up!

auntiejude

Reaction score
And another thought - airlines generally have a ban on liquids over 100ml being taken into the cabin. I doubt they would allow an aquatic amphibian in a travel tub on the plane.
Sorry.

Kaini

Reaction score
And another thought - airlines generally have a ban on liquids over 100ml being taken into the cabin. I doubt they would allow an aquatic amphibian in a travel tub on the plane.
Sorry.

This - you absolutely can't take your aquatic animal on a plane with you. On most airlines these days you're not allowed to take liquids of any kind as carry-ons unless under 100ml (generally). It's a bomb risk. They will literally tell you to leave the animal or not get on the plane.

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
The only thing I could possibly see working would be express international shipping, but I don't know if that would work because of the plane. With that water rule, probably not :/

ArdyBay

Reaction score
I understand the problem and I recently just faced with a similar decision (except I didn't move nearly as far, it was still far enough to be risky). It basically boiled down to me asking myself this question:

Is it worth my axolotls possibly dying?

For me, it wasn't worth it. In my mind, having them at home isn't worth the risk of them possibly dying in shipping. Instead, I found my boys a great home with EmbryH and I get to visit them whenever I go back.

You love your axolotl and I totally get that. But sometimes you have to do what's best for the animal and that doesn't always coincide with what you want. Being a responsible pet owner is about what's doing the right thing for the animal, regardless of what you want.

I would advise you to find your axolotl a great home with someone who will send you updates. You'll know he's happy and healthy and then you can get a new baby in the UK.

Just my two cents...

georgemichael

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your comments, and yes, I'm on the same decision with you guys about giving up my axolotl if I do end up moving.

I think I will be quite picky with who gets to keep him though; I'd definitely be looking at someone who has had at least a few years experience with owning axolotls, and who has a large tank to house him.

Here's another question. My axolotl has never been housed with others since the day I brought him back from the pet shop. He is 23cm long now, roughly 1 1/2 years old. If he went to a new owner that will be introducing him to new axie mates, will it be an easy process? They're naturally communal animals aren't they?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your comments, and yes, I'm on the same decision with you guys about giving up my axolotl if I do end up moving.

I think I will be quite picky with who gets to keep him though; I'd definitely be looking at someone who has had at least a few years experience with owning axolotls, and who has a large tank to house him.

Here's another question. My axolotl has never been housed with others since the day I brought him back from the pet shop. He is 23cm long now, roughly 1 1/2 years old. If he went to a new owner that will be introducing him to new axie mates, will it be an easy process? They're naturally communal animals aren't they?

They are thought of as communal but in reality they are more just neutral animals. As adults they can exist happily together but its more of like roommates who never talk or interact with each other that much. They don't need companions and sometimes can even be aggressive (rarely) to each other but there is usually something to cause that (size diff, food quantity, stressful settings). They aren't like dogs who run, play and sleep together, more like snails that just move around looking for food and trying to occasionally have babies.
We like to add more emotions to our axolotls but if I took one of my 9 out right now it wouldn't care or miss the others as long as it has worms to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1