[Cycling] When will the ammonia level drop?

BinaryRun

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello guys,

Quick question, how many days does it take before ammonia starts to drop? It's currently around 4ppm. (Certainly not 5ppm yet, using the JBL Liquid kit and the ammonia test isn't blue / the 5ppm color)

It depends when the nitrifying bacteria start to colonize. It could be as little as a week or can sometimes take longer. That's why many owners seed with an already established media.

Thanks, in that case I won't have to worry about the levels not lowering yet as I'm only a few days in.

It can be a pain waiting for it to be fully cycled but once you have one tank going its super easy to get another started by seeding media.

Cycling takes weeks, sometimes up to a month. You just have to be patient and keep monitoring your levels :)

My Fishless cycle took 8 weeks in both tanks.
It is a lot quicker if you can use material from an established tank in your filter, but not everyone has access to that.
Just be patient, dont rush and in the long run, your axies will be healthier and you'll be happier :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back