Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mislead when buying fire newt HELP

Jude3184

Reaction score
We have a 2.5 foot tank at home with several types of fish in. There are a few different types of barbs, a Pleco, a ghost knife fish and some sucking loaches. We had a rainbow shark and two angel fish also but the tank was becoming a stressful one so we changed it about and took the shark and angel fish out to make it more peaceful. We went to the pet shop last Sunday where we saw these fire newts in a tank with lots of other fish and we asked a few questions about whether we could keep them in our tank. They assured us they would be a calming addition to the tank we have and that they are 100% aquatic so wouldn't need to have land time...they also told us they like fish flake to eat which to is didn't sound right but being told what we were told we took one home and since being home he hasn't eaten a thing...(after doing my own research I bought some blood worms) but he still won't eat. He would wander around the tank top and bottom the first day or so but now he just floats around the top like he's full of air. It's heartbreaking to see. We did a water change last night and I left the top of the filter out of the water and he has been sat on that ever since. Since reading Into them more I also see that they don't like it as hot as out tropical fish do (our tanks at a constant 23-24 degrees).

I am going to get a new tank just for him as soon as I can where I can try and make it a better environment for him I just a little clueless as the place we got him from said he was low maintenance and would fit in the community tank lovely and he just looks miserable :(

deliriah

Reaction score

Jude3184

Reaction score
I thought that's what I'd have to do. I'm super cross with them for talking bull and with myself for not going with my gut instinct and researching before listening to them. Poor little fellow is miserable :( so when I get a tank do I need a filter and a heater because I've read they like room temp water and no curent. Thanks for the advice by the way and thanks for the welcome.

deliriah

Reaction score
Heaters aren't necessary, these guys like it cooler. A filter isn't necessary either if you plan to do frequent water changes. Some people prefer them though. As a general rule I will try a filter with any new caudates, but if it seems to bother them I remove it. I do frequent water changes anyway. Also if possible you could remove him from the tank into a Tupperware container or other plastic container, with air holes in the lid and dechlorinated water. Just a temporary fix to get him out of the tank until he can enter his own tank. He may also want some land, sometimes they like to be able to chose aquatic or terrestrial, so try giving him places he can get up out of the water. If you do put him in a small plastic container short term please be sure to do daily water changes. The smaller the container the quicker the water gets yucky.

Jude3184

Reaction score
Ok so if I pop him in a tank tonight when I get home until I get him a tank tomorrow should I use the water that's in the tank already or fresh tap water with tap safe in it? Sorry to sound so dumb I just want to get it spot on for him

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use either dechlorinated tap water or tank water, the new tank will still need to cycle. What you really need is masses of live plants in the water, The plants are important because once these types of aquatic newts become terrestrial they lose their broad tail and are poor swimmers. They will not willingly enter deep water if there's a risk of drowning. With enough plants, enough to form a floating mat that he can almost walk on, he will hopefully enter the water again and start recovering from the terrible conditions during importation and at the pet store. Hope this helps.

Jude3184

Reaction score
Can I put him straight into a tub with 15l of water de-chlorinated? What temp should it be and all I have in there is some rocks to give him a place to bask, is this better than leaving him where he is until I can get some plants and a proper tank tomorrow?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would put him in as soon as you have the plants, just test the water for ammonia and nitrite every day to begin with and do partial water changes as required until the tank cycles. Temperature wise room temp is fine, they are cold water animals and can become stressed or sick if kept too warm.
Newts don't bask in the same way as reptiles so don't worry about a basking area.They do need somewhere to emerge and rest if they want. floating cork bark or a turtle dock will be perfect, I would recommend the turtle dock because they're thinner than cork meaning you can get more water in the tank and still have room on the dock for the newts to climb out.
It's also worth remembering that newts will escape through seemingly impossible holes so make sure you have a tight fitting lid or mesh screen.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The sooner you take it out of that hell, the better. You can even place the poor thing in a small container with a couple of fingers of dechlorinated water just until you get the new tank and the plants.
Chinadog´s advice is exactly what i would recommend too. 10 gallon tank, minimum, better yet if it´s larger. So many live plants that you´ll think you have a wet green brick in your tank.
Cool temps and as little stress as possible (vibrations, strong lights, etc).
Hopefully that will do the trick.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To give you some idea what I mean by loads of plants, here's a snap of my tank for raising baby fire bellies. These youngsters were also poor swimmers to begin with so the plants make it almost impossible for them to drown. Once your newt returns to an aquatic life he will regrow his broad tail and become a good swimmer again, then you could thin out the plants a bit if you wanted, although plants really do make a difference to water quality and newts like to hang out in dense vegetation so a tank for H. orientalis should always be well planted.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 188

Jude3184

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advice, he's looking less stressed already, actually at the bottom of the tub we put him in rather than floating like he was before.
Another quick question...will he need uv light over his tank?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the only light required is for the plants, if you choose plants that will tolerate low light levels like java moss or java ferns, a single florescent will be more than good enough. On the other hand you can use ultra bright fixtures specifically for planted tanks if you want to grow light loving plants, the newts won't mind either way!

Jude3184

Reaction score
Thank you so much you've all be most helpful, I've been fretting about this little fella (Spyro) all day, I'm so much happier now he's out of that tank and so is he. :)) the blood worms I feed him (which he hasn't touched up to now I'm assuming because he is stressed) how often should I feed? I bought the frozen ones frozen in cubes and put half a cube in yesterday which the fish also ate some of...when should I feed again and how much just for him? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I feel completely clueless after the aquarium place told me he would eat fish flakes which was utter rubbish along with everything else they told me

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feed my adult newts once every two days or so, but with a thin newly imported animal I would offer food every day. Blood worms are a good way to get him eating, but don't feed them as a staple as they are low in calcium, Chopped nightcrawlers are a good staple diet, although you could try live blackworms or waxworms from the petstore to tempt him at first. It may take a while for him to recover enough to start eating so try not to pester him, I would say offer food once a day but be extremely careful any uneaten food doesn't foul the water.
If I were you I would get a drink, get comfy, and have a good read through the help section, care sheets and fire belly sections of the forum. You'll find answers for most questions you may have! :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a decent temporary tank. Be sure the lid is secure (they escape like Houdini). Be sure to read the FAQ and articles on Caudata Culture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1