Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Donating to a Axolotl research foundation

mikeg

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good research center or foundation to save Axolotls that i can donate to and post a link on my website?

Someone once recommended this research center to me Welcome to Sal-Site , what do you guys think of this research center. Any other recommendations?

mikeg

Reaction score
Yes Caudata does accept donations but from what i understand its for the sites cost of up keeping. Although there is nothing wrong with that and it truly is a great way to pay for software updates and keeping the site free im looking more for a research center.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
I do
lotllove_kidsheet.jpg
I don't know if this is still up and running but it sounds good!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think Sal-site (ambystoma.org) solicits donations. They are funded by the National Institutes of Health, and their interest is supplying animals for research (usually medical research, not research into axolotls themselves).

I'm not really impressed with Lotl-love. As mentioned, caudata.org donations are for the support of the website. Caudata.org did have a "grant" program, with donations from hobbyists being used to fund research, but it takes a lot of time to administrate that kind of thing, and it isn't being done currently. You can see the lists of applicants for those grants in the General News section of the forum.

There are several very good organizations that are involved in conservation of wild amphibians (though not specifically axolotls). Two of my favorites are
Amphibian Ark-Saving Endangered Amphibians from Extinction
Tree Walkers International
Both are registered 501(3)c organizations in the US. This makes your donation tax-deductible (if you care), and gives you some assurance that they have reasonable financial practices.

mikeg

Reaction score
Thanks Guys :happy:

I think ill go with the the site jennewt suggested. After looking through the site it seems like a pretty god site.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1