Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dechlorinating and Aquarium Salt?

cherryglue

Reaction score
So my boyfriend randomly had a thought and wanted me to ask the caudata community :)

Basically, we know to dechlorinate the water before we put it in the tank, but he mentioned that our aquarium salt has traces of chlorine, and wondered if we should dechlorinate the water AFTER we add salt or if it even matters. Our axi seems fine and we have been dechlorinating and then adding salts since we have had him.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Why are you adding salt? Axolotls are freshwater animals, you shouldn't be adding salt at all.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
The difference is you are dechlorinating chlorine Cl out of the water, the chloramines is just Cl + NH3 (ammonia).
salt compounds in aquarium salts break into the cation (Na+,Ca+ etc) and anion chloride which is a natural essential electrolyte. This is one of the reasons why you can't use deionized water because it lacks the trace minerals and electrolytes necessary for normal body functions. That being said salt does not disappear from the water over time so the only way to get it out is through water changes. Also the amount of chloride your adding through salt is very low (hopefully) compared to the volume of water.

Basics: Chlorine is not Chloride.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Why are you adding salt? Axolotls are freshwater animals, you shouldn't be adding salt at all.

Its common to add salt to freshwater aquariums in small amounts to help add more important minerals to the water (if its lacking) and its also though to help with slime coat and treat/prevent some other stuff. However some fish can't tolerate any amount of salt (some catfish, or fish that rely on any 'electrical' means of seeing/hunting).
Axolotls prefer somewhat harder water (more dissolved salts) but most tap water is fine, unless you know its soft water.

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#hardness

that talks about the exact concentrations of salts/minerals

auntiejude

Reaction score
I know axies prefer hard water, but sodium chloride is the wrong salt - you need a calcium based compound for that, or a mixture such as Holtfreters.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I know axies prefer hard water, but sodium chloride is the wrong salt - you need a calcium based compound for that, or a mixture such as Holtfreters.

I think they were using aquarium salt which is a mixture of many different salts.
Holtfreters solution is a mixture of sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate. Sodium chloride has the highest concentration.
You are right that sodium chloride alone is not enough

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1