Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How many in a 40 breeder?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I am curious how many axolotls can be kept happily in a 40 breeder, I am thinking of addding a few more additions and I already have 3 lotls, I prefer to keep only one tank per species.

I can get TONS of hides no problem and silk plants I can get easily. I just do not want to overcrowd anyone.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
That can be okay for ~4 axolotls, so I would say you're fine for 3. They just need space to walk around and enough hides for everyone.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
The problem is if I do what I am debating I will have 6 axolotls

I was told up to 5 for my 40 long and it has less floor space.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
6 will require more frequent water changes. theoretically you can keep large amounts of anything in any size tank as long as there is good water quality at all times and room to move around. Keeping 6 will just mean you always have to keep an eye on the parameters because if the cycle ever crashes the ammonia concentration will shoot up almost immediately.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
If I do get them I will also get a nice canister filter ... and thanks for reminding me my kit expired ...

xxianxx

Reaction score
Have you read about axolotls basic care requirements ? 10 galls is considered the minimum for an adult axolotl and they would benefit from a higher volume than that.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Wow ... that was a nasty comment ... nope haven't read about them at all that's why Natsu has been living in a 20 long alone * sarcasm*

Also gallons are NOT important with lotls as long as you have proper filtration its floorspace ... you can have just as many in a 30 breeder as a 40 breeder because the floor space is the same ... assuming you clean out any poops and your filtration is appropriate to handle the bioload and also that you do the needed water changes ... so for animals like lotls I do not only focus on tank size

According to you whether its a 20 x high ( 200 sq inches floorspace) or a 20 long( 360 sq inches floor space , go ahead and put 2 lotls in either ... same water volume equals same number of lotls

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you have read the care requirements why are you asking? Water volume is important, the more per axolotl the better. Yet again you are posting questions which run counter to best practice's for animal welfare and whinging when somebody doesn't agreed with your plans.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Everyone has different beliefs as far as care requirements ... personally I think its sickening to keep a single lotl in a 10 gallon that's no room to move at all really.

Ian may I kindly ask you to never comment on my threads.

Questions harm noone ... I would rather have questions asked than mistakes made ... but you do not agree with this and I seem to have no way to block you from my posts

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
6 in a 40 breeder would be a little cramped but should be fine. Just look at good filtration. You will need lots of biological filtration and have to watch the axolotl waste and uneaten food.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Everyone has different beliefs as far as care requirements

No, there is conventional wisdom and collective experience that guides good sense and best practice.

... personally I think its sickening to keep a single lotl in a 10 gallon that's no room to move at all really.

And giving them less than that collectively is different?

Ian may I kindly ask you to never comment on my threads.

WTF?! Really? How rude...

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Everyone has different beliefs as far as care requirements ... personally I think its sickening to keep a single lotl in a 10 gallon that's no room to move at all really.

To be honest they don't require that much room to move around for an animal their size. They move around occasionally but mostly when looking for food, but a full axolotl can stand relatively still for a while. Lab conditions for them are much smaller and they seem to have no problems in health. Of course this is due to the total water changes constantly. That being said, 6 axolotls is pushing the limits of a 40gallon water volume. That is 6.5gallons for each and as a permanent housing arrangement will just be more work on you. I can't wait to move my 9 juveniles into their own separate tanks because I'm at the point where I'm now doing 50% water changes almost daily to keep them happy. The 10 gallon rule is what's generally applied to provide enough space for one axolotl and its bioload but is an easy starting aquarium for someone at the beginner level to maintain. The larger the tank the happier the axolotl because water quality is maintained longer due to volume. If I were in your position I would understock the tank with maybe 2-3 maximum and enjoy the easier water changes. Overstocking a tank is only for the experienced and those with time for constant maintenance and monitoring. I check my parameters constantly, and clean every morning and night. The only reason I have to deal with this is because I wanted to have breeding before next year and knew that during the summer getting them shipped to florida is risky.

This forum is meant to spread information and techniques. You're right that not everyone will have the same advice but I find it better to hear other peoples' experiences, advice and even their mistakes so that I can provide the best care for my pets. I learned more from this site and realized that somethings I believed to be best were in fact wrong. You can't take the criticism personally, and realize its to help the pets.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Everyone has different beliefs as far as care requirements ...

Well, not really. Axolotl care isn't exactly a religion, so your 'beliefs' about their care are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you 'believe' that four axolotls in a twenty gallon will be fine; they won't be. It doesn't matter that you believe six in a 40 breeder will be fine; it's still giving them less water volume and space than they ideally require. I have a 40 breeder and I couldn't fathom keeping six adults in there.

Also Ian's initial comment wasn't at all rude. He was asking a basic question and gave a very simple and correct answer.

If you want to have six axolotls, try keeping 4 in the 40 and the other 2 in your 20 long. That's what I intend to do as soon as I get another female.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1