Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding two more firebellied newts?

Morningglory

Reaction score
So, basically I have a 55 gallon tank that houses a 21 year old Japanese fire bellied newt. I had two in a 10 gallon for years but one died of old age years and years ago. So about a year ago I upgraded his tank to the 55 gallon. I had gold fish in with him and he did great but they were getting too big and eating all his food so I removed the fish. I'd like to add two more newts but I was originally told they are territorial so that's a bad idea. What are your thoughts? I plan to quarantine one month minimum and then introduce the new ones to the tank. I planned to take out my old man and clean the tank, rearrange it and put the new ones in first. Once they get a little used to their new home, I would put in my old man. Any thoughts? I'll post a pic but I would make another dry spot and hopefully will have more plants. The plants are new as of this week. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Edit to add: the new ones will be more likely the Chinese fire belly ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395026603.653257.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395026616.335407.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395026637.271113.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395026657.889390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you could find some Japanese rather than Chinese newts there's no reason why he would object to company, some newts are territorial but Cynops are happy to coexist. Mixing him with Chinese firebellies is risky as they will be wild caught and could be already sick or carrying diseases that your old guy has no resistance to.
I would say put up a wanted add on here, you should be able to find some captive bred Japanese newts. I'm pretty sure he would like some live plants to hang out in if that's a possibility? Also be careful with gravel, it can cause problems if newts eat it by accident, although if he hasn't eaten any in 20 years then he's probably not going to!

Morningglory

Reaction score
Do you think it's only risky to put chinese newts in due to the risk of disease, or because of size? I suppose diseases aren't always seen.

Those are live plants that I have added. I've never had live plants before, so I'm sure he's loving them! I have been learning a lot more recently since I've found this site!

Morningglory

Reaction score
I don't have permission to respond or create a topic in the classified section :(

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not really a good idea to mix any species of newts in the same tank, particularly with Chinese firebellies there is a real risk that they are ill. They are wild caught in China, then move through markets, wholesalers and shipping companies potentially being mixed will all manner of different animals so they are often sick or carrying something nasty that they've picked up along the way, even if they look ok at the petstore.
Some other species are aggressive or territorial, or would out compete your existing newt at feeding time. The general feeling is the risks far outweigh the benefit of seeing two species mixed in the same tank.
I think there is a minimum amount of posts you have to make before you can post adds, it isn't very high, I think it's just to stop spam adds appearing all the time?

Morningglory

Reaction score
So, he is okay alone? He has been alone for a large part of his life. His tank mate was a Chinese newt, a definite fluke that I got a Japanese newt. I just want him to be happy

Morningglory

Reaction score
I can't find any newts in the area. I'd absolutely love to get another Japanese newt. Ugh! Frustrating

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He will be perfectly happy on is own, they will happily coexist like I said, but they aren't social creatures and would only really seek the company of other newts in the breeding season. Japanese firebellies are beautiful creatures, especially in a nice planted tank, although I have four of them and in all honesty, there's no more excitement in the tank than if there was only one! :)
Having said all that, I'm sure it's possible to track some more down if you are patient. They were once imported from Japan in huge numbers just like the Chinese fire bellies are today. Nowadays they are mostly available as captive bred youngsters like the one in my avatar, they are terrestrial at that age but it's fun to watch them grow from shy little creatures into greedy great things over a year or so!
As you might have guessed I'm a huge fan of Japanese firebellies, and I love to see noble old newts like yours that have survived from the mass imports years ago. The surprising thing is, he could easily have been twenty years old when you got him, and he could live another decade or two from now with proper care!

Edit: If you're searching for newts on the web you might have more luck using their scientific name Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Last edited:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably wont find any overnight, most people who breed and raise them only rear a small number and don't really need to advertise, I am raising eight juveniles and could have sold them many times over if I wanted. I would put up a wanted add and see what happens. It took me years and years of searching on and off to find mine but as you know they are worth holding out for. You can search further away from home if you want, newts can be safely sent through the mail in favourable temperatures. Good luck! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!