My larvae are EATING!!

Dax

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am so happy, I fed the babies their bbs this morning, it is so cute to watch them. Not real accurate aim yet, they miss LOL. I can't keep my eyes on all the little ones, but I saw several with bbs hanging out of their mouth awww. So I guess the others will follow.

Now the next thing(s) I would like advise on :D.

How long should I leave the bbs with them? until they are dead, or just a couple hours?

How often should I do water changes while they are in the small containers?

They are 36-48 hours old now. Should I feed them twice a day bbs exclusively?

When should I introduce something else, and what do you suggest? Daphnia?
Thanks lotl lovers!! Have a great day!!

but I saw several with bbs hanging out of their mouth

BBS are so tiny they fit right in an axie's mouth - nothing should be 'hanging out'. Or are you using adult brineshrimp? Can you get a photo?

You need to remove any uneaten BBS after about 4 hours, or change the water. Wtaer should be changed eery 24 hours anyway.

I only feed my hatchlings once a day, some people twice a day.

When they get their front legs formin and are about 1" you can try them on daphnia.

BBS are so tiny they fit right in an axie's mouth - nothing should be 'hanging out'. Or are you using adult brineshrimp? Can you get a photo?

You need to remove any uneaten BBS after about 4 hours, or change the water. Wtaer should be changed eery 24 hours anyway.

I only feed my hatchlings once a day, some people twice a day.

When they get their front legs formin and are about 1" you can try them on daphnia.
Thank you for that info Auntie Jude - I couldn't get a picture, but all the babies have pink tummies. On the darker ones I can see a "lump in the tummie" so I assume its a BBS.
I removed the BBS after ~3 hours. The BBS are a little large, I have had them since the 14th and since they didn't start eating until today, I suppose they have grown.
Nothing is hanging out of the babes mouths now, must have taken a couple swallows. This isn't going to hurt them is it? I am going to go replenish my BBS supply today. New deliveries of BBS in the Portland Metro are only on Wednesday's. I talked to more than my share of pet / fish supply stores. Thanks Again.

BBS - baby brine shrimp. You should be hatching your own daily for a fresh supply, pet stores don't sell them.
So what are you feeding your hatchlings?

I get my bbs eggs from Animal House in Milwaukie and Oregon City. They are a little more expensive than buying online, but I like to support local business and over the years have developed a relationship with them. :happy:

I got mine at the Wet Spot - But I will check out the Animal House, it sounds close to me. The babies are eating ( twice today) and doing fine, going to change their water, all have pink tummies!!

What is that photo you have Dax? Is that an axie rowing a boat?!

Thanks for asking the questions Dax. I was looking for answers to these questions myself. Mine hatched two days ago and I really want to do it right this time. I lost every single one from my first clutch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back