Question: Quality foods

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Through the summer I feed Natsu earthworms but through the winter I can not get them, what quality foods do you feed?

So far only Omega one shrimp pellets meet my standards ...

Before we submit suggestions, what are the standard by which our foods will be judged. My #2 behind earthworms are the rangen pellets available from Ambystoma and some others. After that is nothing I consider to be a complete option by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like real meats as the main ingredients ... fish meal, wheat flour etc I find unacceptable.

I have salmon pellets too but as I do not know the ingredients I can't really say if I like them ... natsu does ... her breeder gave them to me.

Also what am I looking for as far as food analysis

Do newts count?

I feed earthworms to almost everything. I feed some little un-identified worms to my juvenile newts occasionally. And I feed crickets and worms to my terrestrial salamanders. As well as random bugs that are in there. I am going to try a woodlice culture I think, and if I am successful I will feed those to my terrestrial salamanders as well.

I honestly don't know exactly what this thread is about? But ThickAsaBrick said what they feed there stuff, and so did you, so that's what it is? :confused:

Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values -Seth

Last edited:
Seth its a discussion on high quality foods ... we posted what we feed because we would not feed what we do not believe to be high quality. Its about processed but high quality foods ...

I know Michael G (mikeg) is selling axolotl pellets. Supposedly these pellets are made to be nutritionally similar to earthworms.
I haven't tried them yet, I feed only live, but I was considering ordering some to add variety to my axies diet.

Nutritional Value

CRUDE PROTEIN (MIN) ...............................................55%
CRUDE FAT (MIN)........................................................17%
CRUDE FIBER (MAX) .....................................................2%
SODIUM .....................................................................0.6%
CALCIUM ....................................................................1.5%
PHOSPHOROUS .........................................................1.1%

why not just start an earthworm farm? super easy and if done right is an endless cost free supply of the best food for your axolotl.

When I looked into starting an eartworm farm they told me they needed too much space to sucessfully reproduce... so I looked into red wrigglers but was told many animals don't like them ... so I am kinda stuck doing what I am ... in an apartment I have no room ... we are currently living with boyfriends mom til he graduates college and she says everything I own must be confined to my room ... I would LOVE an earthworm farm

I will talk to mikeg about his pellets :) I just ordered some rangen pellets.

Btw I even looked into freezing earthworms so I could stock up and that was a no go :( I really do try to do my best for her but I am confined by my living situation

When I looked into starting an eartworm farm they told me they needed too much space to sucessfully reproduce... so I looked into red wrigglers but was told many animals don't like them ... so I am kinda stuck doing what I am ... in an apartment I have no room ... we are currently living with boyfriends mom til he graduates college and she says everything I own must be confined to my room ... I would LOVE an earthworm farm

I will talk to mikeg about his pellets :) I just ordered some rangen pellets.

Btw I even looked into freezing earthworms so I could stock up and that was a no go :( I really do try to do my best for her but I am confined by my living situation

An axolotl will eat red wigglers (Eisenia fetida), maybe not right away, but eventually will as long as you are not feeding it anything else. I live in a tiny dorm room so trust me, I know it can be done. I have a plastic storage box, about 2ft by 1ft filled with a mixture of shredded newspaper and soil. I started with only 120 worms and didn't account for the fact that my axolotls would go through them in a week. Even then I still have vermipods in the soil which means that the worms were reproducing right away. You can keep roughly 1lb of worms for every cubic foot of space you have and should be feeding them half their weight each day. I ordered 2lbs (2000 worms) online because I have to factor in that it takes at least 3-4 months to start producing worms and In that time I would need at least 1200 to feed my axolotls/acfs. Once your worms farm starts producing worms it really is an endless supply and maintenance is as easy as feeding and occasionally turning the soil.

My dorm had more room than my bedroom lol

Thank you though I will set up a red wriggler farm :) I can probably get away with an underbed storage container and keep it... somewhere lol.

I will do more research when my laptop gets here ... thank goodness for not 3 inch screens

If your axolotls don't like red wigglers try freezing them ahead of time. When red wigglers are stressed they release a foul smelling and tasting odor; by freezing them they don't release as much. It has worked so far for me and my picky axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back