Question: Breeder vs Long

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 40 breeder and a 40 long ... I have been researching how many lotls could happily be in either and the stocking for a breeder seems to be 3-4 and the suggestion for a long is 4-5 .. I do not understand this ... with the 40 breeder having a few more gallons water capacity and 70 more inches floor space I would think if anything it would be the opposite. C

Could someone explain this? I am trying to understand.

In the long they have more room to distance themselves from each other and have their own territory. It the breeder they are closer together, even if it is the same size gallon wise

If its the consensus 5 would be happier in a 40 long I will have to pull mine out and seal it

But its very interesting to see everyones view :)

What is a breeder? Is it a squarer shaped tank?

the 40 long is 48 x 12 x 16 the 40 breeder is 36x18x16 :) inches :)

Usually the more floor space the more axolotls. For a long or high tank you can fake floor space by adding drift wood, plants, caves, etc. to your water column. When the axolotl is climbing the drift it acts like it is still on the bottom.

Usually the more floor space the more axolotls. For a long or high tank you can fake floor space by adding drift wood, plants, caves, etc. to your water column. When the axolotl is climbing the drift it acts like it is still on the bottom.

That's what I am not understanding .... the breeder had more floorspace so why would the long be more suitable for more lotls?

You read it on the internet it must be true.

Ok wrong choice of words ... why is the long recommended for more lotls despite less floorspace. Also it was from reading posts on this site as I don't trust any others

I am just trying to understand this opinion ... everyone is welcome to their opinion but conflicting info does not make it easy to give our lotls the best

I answered your question with the dimensions bugdozer :) its just up a few posts :)

Ok wrong choice of words ... why is the long recommended for more lotls despite less floorspace. Also it was from reading posts on this site as I don't trust any others

I

It has been my experience that a breeder style tank will work better. Maybe someone else had a different experience. I would recommend a long over a high.

The tanks have the same height :) its the 55's that are tall.

I do agree though unless you have like angelfish height isn't usually super important

the 40 long is 48 x 12 x 16 the 40 breeder is 36x18x16 :) inches :)

How can these both be 40 gallon? The one has 9216 cubic inches and the other one has 10368 cubic inches. Maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

They are both CALLED 40 gallons ... I believe the breeder actually holds about 5 more gallons

Btw that would have been italics but phone makes that hard

Looked it up ... long is 39.9 gallons , breeder is 44.9 ...

Sounds like the breeder would be better all around from my view

I answered your question with the dimensions bugdozer :) its just up a few posts :)

I didn't realise a difference of a few inches in two axes meant the tank had to be renamed, when essentially it's still a rectangular shape. It just puzzled me. I have never heard of what is basically a normal shaped tank being referred to as a "breeder" before.
Why is it called a breeder?

Its not a normal shaped tank :) most tanks are longer and narrower ... and I am guessing theyb are widely used by breeders ... I don't actually know the reason for the term but I do know that each tank has its own name .... even a standard 20gallon is actually a 20 high. Its just to help differentiate :)

Breeders are 18 inches wide whereas with standard tanks they don't get to 18 inches wide until you get up to a 75 gallon

Sorry I know its all confusing and this post is a bit off topic I am just doing my best to explain the differences.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back