Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Random grub

bugdozer

Reaction score
I was getting some worms out of the garden to feed my axolotls and I came across a grub. I fed the grub to one of them. Then I realised I had no idea what species the grub was. Might it be harmful?

auntiejude

Reaction score
If your axie gets sick it probably was :p

Probably not, in the wild axies would eat small larvae and grubs that fell into the water. Keep an eye on your axie though, and let us know!

sde

Reaction score
Chances are its harmless. Just stay away from bright colors, and if it was from an area that has pesticides/weed killers/fertilizers than that's bad too.

But I would say if its just brown or something that is not a bright color or a really noticeable color I would say its fine. I am consistently feeding my juvenile newts little worms from outside that I have no idea what they are, and my newts love them! No problems.

-Seth

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I sometimes find, and feed, Cutworms to my axies. But I normally kill them first, they have a nasty pair of nashers, which, if not killed instantly, could do some damage to axie.

Last edited:

bugdozer

Reaction score
It was a brown grub, looked a little like a caterpillar, so no bright colours to indicate poisons, and it's from my garden where I don't use any chemicals or pesticides.
The axie that ate the grub is sitting in the corner with its tail curled, but I don't know if it is curled in a stressed way or just because of the position its sitting in. Is there a way to tell the difference? The other axie was meant to eat the grub but it spat it out and this one gobbled it up, after already eating a huge worm, so it might feel very full. :grin:

bugdozer

Reaction score
The axolotl that ate the grub is still alive and well and lounging about looking happy. I guess that species is safe to eat!

bugdozer

Reaction score
Update - I have fed several of these things to Anders and am happy to report no problems. Galadriel has difficulty swallowing them though - generally he/she prefers narrower food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1