Question: Juvenile Leucistic swimming a lot?

maynard

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys,
I just got 2 juvenile axolotls, leucistic and a golden albino and was just wondering if this is normal behavior.

The leucistic is a lot more active than the albino, and tends to go for a lot of swims. Swims laps around the top/middle of the tank, gets a drink of air, rests on top of a rock and goes again.

Sometimes he/she (not sure yet) will just float in the middle of the tank for a few minutes, like it forgot what it was doing then carry on again lol.

This is all happening as I type this and now I'm noticing the albino watching the lucy curiously, almost as if he is trying to learn how to swim from it.

pehuzyzu.jpg

Right after I took this, she landed on top of him. Haha Its kind of entertaining to watch, but I was under the impression that they weren't very active creatures?

I have been feeding them frozen bloodworm/brine shrimp for the first few days but switched to red wigglers yesterday. (Half a worm each, cut into 1"pieces)

I got the pair with a complete setup from axolotl Canada, tank and everything. And they said it would be okay to leave them in for the cycle.

My water parameters are (api master test kit)

Ammonia: .25/.5 ish
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Temperature is at 68.

Anyways, let me know if there is anything I should be worried about. I tend to worry a lot about these guys.

Sounds about normal to me. Juveniles are far more active than adults, and they generally like to explore a new tank - I'd say your leucistic is just investigatig his new home.

If you are doing an axie-in cycle you'll have to test the water daily for ammonia and be prepared for frequent water changes - ammonia must not get above 1ppm or it could harm your axies.

Sounds like normal behavior to me. Juveniles are a lot more active than adults - as they grow up they'll calm down. Adults are pretty lazy... but my juvenile loves to swim laps around the tank and go up for air.

However with those tank readings, your tank isn't cycled and you're going to have dangerous ammonia and nitrite spikes. You'll have to regularly test your water and keep up with your water changes. Here's a good article on aquarium cycling: Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

Thanks guys I actually keep fish also, so I am pretty familiar with cycling and maintenance. I also test daily.

Although I have always used bottled bacteria for fish, I've been wondering if I should grab some for the axies. The breeder said not to bother, just frequent water changes with dechlorinated water.

Really? Do you actually have success with the bottled bacteria? I've never had luck with it. It's not the same.

Yea, actually. I used tetra safe start with a few Mollies and platties after trying to cycle without it for 4 weeks. It literally cycled my tank the next day.

Yea, actually. I used tetra safe start with a few Mollies and platties after trying to cycle without it for 4 weeks. It literally cycled my tank the next day.

I had success with Tetra Safestart too. I got shouted down as a liar on another forum for saying that, though... *shrugs*

That's odd, I am on fishlore and they swear by the stuff. That and Dr. Tims One and Only.

I'm trying to do 2 20% water changes a week as well as adding a few drops of prime every couple days to keep keep them comfortable for the next little while. To my understanding, axolotls are fairly hardy.

Also, I had read that highly active juveniles might be female? That would make my GF very happy since she named hers Lola lol if the albino is a male I'll be happy too since I named him Maynard - I'm a big fan of the band Tool, and these guys remind me of something out of their music videos ha ha

That's odd, I am on fishlore and they swear by the stuff. That and Dr. Tims One and Only.

I'm trying to do 2 20% water changes a week as well as adding a few drops of prime every couple days to keep keep them comfortable for the next little while. To my understanding, axolotls are fairly hardy.

I have to disagree with 'axolotls are hardy' they're actually more sensitive to poor water quality than fish, and going through a cycle can be hard on them. You'll need to do more water changes than that for sure.

But huh about the safe start. Maybe I just got a dead bottle. Anyway I prefer cycling my tank the usual way anyway.

I have to disagree with 'axolotls are hardy' they're actually more sensitive to poor water quality than fish, and going through a cycle can be hard on them. You'll need to do more water changes than that for sure.

But huh about the safe start. Maybe I just got a dead bottle. Anyway I prefer cycling my tank the usual way anyway.

Could have been a dead bottle, also, if used directly after using a dechlorinator, it would have not worked. Things like prime etc will kill all the bacteria before it has a chance to work.

Regardless, I'll stick to my water changes and maybe even bump up the frequency when I start to notice spikes.

The 'quick start' formulations have been discussed many a time - some have used them and say they work, some have tried them and say they don't work, some refuse to believe they work and won't use them.

I personally have used some, found it to be useful and certainly cycled my tank nicely and in a shorter time than expected. Was it the quick start stuff? Or was it my meticulous attention to testing and water changes? I guess we'll never know....

It's safe for axies though, if you choose to use it.

But why do you 'add a few drops of prime to keep them comfortable for the next little while'? Dechlorinator should be added to the water before you add it to the tank. Or are you talking about a different product?

But why do you 'add a few drops of prime to keep them comfortable for the next little while'? Dechlorinator should be added to the water before you add it to the tank. Or are you talking about a different product?

Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24hrs

Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24hrs
Thanks so much for this. On reading up on Prime, I find it is also so concentrated that is ends up being cheaper to use than many of the dechlorinate-only products. The fact that it also protects the lotl's slime coat is a bonus. I am a convert.

Thanks so much for this. On reading up on Prime, I find it is also so concentrated that is ends up being cheaper to use than many of the dechlorinate-only products. The fact that it also protects the lotl's slime coat is a bonus. I am a convert.

I use it on all my tanks. A lot of people swear by it. Just don't use it as a substitute for water changes

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back