Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm farm problems.

HayleyK

Reaction score
So I have plenty of healthy earthworms, but I also have these white dot-like bugs and leeches :/ is that okay?

I have no idea where these leeches come from as I live right on the coast with no swamp-like areas. Can I feed them to my axolotls? I've read leeches can be used to feed but I'm worried they will suck my axolotl from the inside. Also they don't look like regular leeches they're green with a black stripe.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
So I have plenty of healthy earthworms, but I also have these white dot-like bugs and leeches :/ is that okay?

I have no idea where these leeches come from as I live right on the coast with no swamp-like areas. Can I feed them to my axolotls? I've read leeches can be used to feed but I'm worried they will suck my axolotl from the inside. Also they don't look like regular leeches they're green with a black stripe.

Try to do an accurate id. They might be some type of flatworm

HayleyK

Reaction score
I'll go on the hunt.. I originally found two in the worm water, and one in my worm farm. Dad hates leeches and poured salt on it and it bubbled and died... Do worms do that with salt?

HayleyK

Reaction score
I've had to up the brightness to try and show you the green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 275

HayleyK

Reaction score
I.D the green worm on the left?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 449

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Search garden flatworm on google and look through the images. I believe some are actually predatory on earthworms.

HayleyK

Reaction score
I've had a look and the look like arrow-head or shovel head flatworms but without the big wide head. Is it okay to feed my axolotls? The colour looks so off putting. If they're predatory should I hunt for them in my farm and get rid of them?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I've had a look and the look like arrow-head or shovel head flatworms but without the big wide head. Is it okay to feed my axolotls? The colour looks so off putting. If they're predatory should I hunt for them in my farm and get rid of them?

I wouldn't see how they would be a problem to feed to an axolotl, but from what i'm reading about flatworms in gardens, it might be best to try to hunt them all down just in case they are eating your stock.

kjnorman

Reaction score
I wouldn't feed them to the axolotls unless you can get a firm ID for a safe species. It would *probably* be okay, but why take the chance. If it turned out they were not safe, you would feel really bad - or I would, anyway :).

I have a few weird extra critters living in my worm colony, and they don't seem to do it any harm. If anything, the extra biodiversity seems to help the worms break down the compost that they have trouble with.

If they are large and seem to be competing with or preying on the worms, just pick them out and discard them as you come across them, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Looks like a slug!?

It looks a lot like garden flatworms, like boom suggested. I thought slug too, then leech.. But on my next day off I'm going to terminate all of those little creatures. Monday is hunting day!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!