Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Story of Odysseus

RenitaO

Reaction score
I just wanted to share the story of my wild type, male axolotl named Odysseus.

Odysseus was sold to me by Ahughes052806 as a juvi, almost adult. He was about 4 inches. They're a great seller, and I can tell they really care for their axies. They checked in with me every day, and asked for multiple pictures when I did get Ody home.

But the real story is of Odysseus's journey from Georgia USA to Colorado USA. We used two day priority, which generally gets the mail to my high Colorado mountain town in 2-3 days. The odd thing that tipped me off first was that on day 2 it showed no updates about the packages whereabouts. After day 3, day 4, there were no updates. It was day 5, and we were both freaking out. I vowed to the universe that if it let this little axolotl find its way home, I would name it Odysseus. Boy girl, maimed, whatever. As long as it lived.

Well, on day 6 I got a voice-mail from my boss, here in my mountain town. She said some people from a shipping facility in Denver had looked me up online to try to find a contact number for me, and my work place was the only one listed! Well, I called that shipping center ASAP, of course. The nice man on the line told me that he was the HASMAT director, his name was Mike. He said his guys had brought in this box that was leaking water, and he had found a live creature in it.

Mike was so helpful. He had been keeping Ody in the tupperware found in the shipping box, with a small amount of water. Because he wasn't sure if it needed water to live, which is okay considering he had no idea what Ody even was. When I told him Ody did need water, he went and bought some distilled water from the store, and filled the tupperware up.

Since the package was destroyed, and I didn't want Ody getting lost in the mail again, I decided to drive the four hour trip to Denver that night, to get him the next morning when the shipping center opened. The next day we arrived at the shipping center. Mike explained that the center was basically miles and miles of conveyor belts, and that the package must have bounced open and spilled water, which is why it was brought to him.

Odysseus was so distraught when we picked him up. His gills were nearly gone, having been dried up without water, or hurt from harsh water before Mike switched it. Due to lack of water, his back fin had folded over and rolled up. His skin was shedding. But boy was he still kicking! He'd swim around the small tupperware angrily. We got to a pet store shortly after, got some fresh de-chlorinated water, and gave him half a worm to eat. It took him an hour or so, but he recognized it as food and ate it. It was then that I knew he'd be okay.

Thus, Odysseus received his name. He earned it even more by surviving the four hour drive up thousands of feet in elevation. We made the trek back to my home that day, and got Ody in his new home. The shipping didn't give me the insurance on the package, because technically I still got it, though I did have to go hours out of my way and pay $100 in gas to get it! Oh well. Ody is safe.

I guess the two things to take away from this are: 1) Axolotls are little troopers. 2) Don't ship packages through Denver unless they are extremely, excessively, duct taped secure!

Here's a video of Odysseus now! His gills are back in full bloom, one even looks like it has split at the end so he has extra gills. His back fin has slowly been recovering, but I'm not sure it will ever be the same. Battle scars. He lives with Theseus, a golden that survived an ordeal at my wedding. They live in a big 55gal tank :) Their tank is pretty bare in this video, but I've recently filled it up with more fake plants for them.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152206761584454&set=vb.776869453&type=3&theater

robopetz

Reaction score
What a great story! Odysseus is very lucky to have y'all. Also, Mike is awesome for going the extra mile for y'all too. Ody looks happy and healthy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
Poor guy glad he pulled through! Did you take a photo of him when you got him?

P.s just advice on your set up, the lights can be irritating for your lotls as they don't have eyelids so it's constantly bright. Lights are okay to use provided you have many hides.. Which you don't :( an axolotl should have atleast two hides each :)

RenitaO

Reaction score
Poor guy glad he pulled through! Did you take a photo of him when you got him?

P.s just advice on your set up, the lights can be irritating for your lotls as they don't have eyelids so it's constantly bright. Lights are okay to use provided you have many hides.. Which you don't :( an axolotl should have atleast two hides each :)

Oh no worries! I rarely have the lights on. Only if I'm taking pictures or videos, really. And I added a bunch of plants for them too :) That video was just after I got the new aquarium, and I wanted to show them in it to my friends.

Sanshouo

Reaction score
Wow what an unlikely story! i can't believe he survived after the water leaked out of the box. That man must have gotten to him just in time because a lack of water and low oxygen inside the box would have killed him in just a couple hours I would think. Incredible!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1