Tank sizes... 65 long?

AshSeek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking to get between a 50-65 gallon tank... but pictures from people's ads i've been viewing in my area make the 55 gallons look longer than the 65 gallons... length is more ideal for my axololts. does anyone have any insight if 65 gallons are longer than 55? or can you get them in longs or?

The 55 is longer but it is not as deep as the 65. The 55 offers about 615 square inches of space on the bottom while the 65 is 700.

Maybe I can help you.these are standard perfecto glass aquarium sizes: there is no 50 gal. Next is a 55 gal. Which is 48x13x20,a 65 is shorter,measuring 36x18x24,so I would go for the 55 every time.the next longest is a 120 xh ,and is 60x18x26...

could i put 6 axolotls in a 55?

could i put 6 axolotls in a 55?

You're better off getting the 65 if you want 6 axolotls. This provides them with more water volume per individual and has more surface area along the bottom.
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]65 gallon (LxWxH) 36 7/8 x 19 x 24 5/8[/FONT] = 700.625 square inches
55 gallon (LxWxH) [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21 = 615.188 square inches

[/FONT]

I like to give my animals a lengthy environment,so they have a lot of room to move..me personally,I would just put one In a 55 gal.

I like to give my animals a lengthy environment,so they have a lot of room to move..me personally,I would just put one In a 55 gal.

Yeah that is always a much better option then maxing out the bioload capacity for a tank. Generally the 10 gallon rule per axolotl is a good measure for normal bioload production. So if you go with half stocking it will take roughly twice as long to produce the same amount of waste buildup (nitrates) as full stocking.

thank you guys for your advise my only reason for getting a bigger tank is to get some more axies i'd prefer 6 (wanting melanoid, gfp white lecusitic, and another one) you think to try to get a 65 over the 55 then?

Absolutely. While most aquatic life is not very tolerant of ammonia/nitrite and high nitrate, axolotls are tend to be more sensitive then the average. A larger water volume will leave more room for buffer as waste accumulates in the tank. The 65 also provides more space for each axolotl to move around. That way if one feels threatened by another it can have more room to distance itself. The difference in tank maintenance is not much between a 55 and a 65. Both will require similar amounts of water changes and maintenance. I recommend maybe getting some type of gravel vacuum that can be attached to a drain so you can drain water while cleaning the bottom. I think python is a brand. Highly recommend doing a fishless cycle before getting anything live so you're not changing 50+ gallons a day.

Awesome thank you so much for the advise!!! would using two filters help at all? i know they don't like water flow so i'd probably have to adjust for that but other than that would they help keep it clean?

Awesome thank you so much for the advise!!! would using two filters help at all? i know they don't like water flow so i'd probably have to adjust for that but other than that would they help keep it clean?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back