Soul meets Body.

Axoogje

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have Soul (my axi) doing good and now with almost an all new set up. So i went out and picked myself up a marble wild type and respectively name it Body.

SO my question is:

I have 2 hides, an air stone, fake and real real plants, and a inside tank filter with flow control; all of this in a 29 gallon (pretty much same dimensions as a 20 gallon long just taller)

Is all good for me to introduce them? Soul is a full grown female about 8 inches long
and Body is about 5 inch and unsex'd as of now

They are past the cannibalistic state I'm sure but will Soul try to Swallow body?

i am letting the new one and some feeders float (in bag) till i pick my Girlfriend up from work in 15 mins. So Hopefully i get an answer soon lol.

Hello - I am COMPLETELY new to this so I'm not really sure, but you said you needed a fast response so I thought I'd repeat some things I had read.

In other threads, I've seen more experienced members talk about quarantining the new axolotl for a few days (I think it's 30?) to make sure it's not carrying anything nasty.

Hope this helped somewhat (?) Sorry you got a newbie reply!

Reactions: sde
Yes, You need to quarantine feeder fish before introducing them so they don't introduce diseases to your Axolotls most importantly. (I'm actually of the opinion you shouldn't use feeders at all - too many risks. Earthworms are a much more balanced diet and much safer. but that's just me).

ANYWAY If the smaller Axie can fit into the larger one's mouth - YES it will try to swallow it and should be kept separate. Axolotls will try to swallow anything that moves. if it even remotely seems like soul would be able to fit body in it's mouth you should keep them separate.

You also might want to invest in some more hides - the general rule I think is two per axie.

If you have an all new setup, is it cycled?

The tank is cycled and Ive been watching this tank of axolotls at the store for a month or more. I go every day.

is a divider ok?

A divider would be fine until they're big enough to co-exist :)

Your setup sounds good. I have two hides and a bunch of plants (fake and real) for two adult axies, and they seem to use the plants as much or more than the hides, and often wedge themselves in the same hide together.

My guys are the same size though. I would go with the majority here and say wait a little longer before keeping them together. It sounds like Body is big enough to not get eaten, but he/she may get injured if Soul tries to chow down. This will always happen to some extent (my female gnaws on the male's feet every now and then when they happen to be near her mouth), but if one individual is larger than the other the injuries could be more severe. Better safe than sorry.

You should quarantine everything living of its new - including your new axolotl! Plus I agree he' will be too small and need to be separate anyway.

When introducing a new animal to your current one, you should really quarantine the new one in a completely separate container, so as to avoid any transmission of diseases etc. A divider in a tank is not sufficient to do this.

Caudata Culture Articles - Quarantine and Disinfection

Also, could you possibly add a photo of your newest addition.. I would love to see it :)

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back