Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Eggs per axolotl or axolotls per egg

HannahMarie

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am considering raising some axolotls from egg and was wondering how many eggs I need. I only plan to keep two axolotls from this for myself so how many eggs should I get? I don't want to get two eggs and have both fail or get 15 eggs and have a ton of axolotls to rehome. I do have a few sources to rehome extras too (local pet stores, other axolotl lovers, back on here, etc.), so too many is better than too few especially considering the shipping is much more than the cost of eggs.
Thanks for your input and I'm sure to have more questions as this becomes more of a reality :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If all goes well, survival should be 90% or more. If something goes wrong along the way, survival could be zero. I think if you ended up with 15 extra axolotls, it wouldn't be that hard to rehome them. I would say get 15-20 eggs.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you get eggs from an established breeding pair the breeder should be able to give you some idea of an average hatch rate.

I would recommend you take about a dozen eggs, giving you an allowance for dud eggs, weak larvae/deaths, and leave you with a good handful of healthy babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1