Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axie Hic ups ???

Flee

Reaction score
I have read the post lower down the page but not sure if mines as simular as the Twitching post.

I noticed one of my axies has started a twitch/ hic up movement when it moves. It doesn’t look stressed or sick but whenever it moves it starts jumping kinda like when they eat but its many times in a row then it settles and all is good until he moves again then he jumps all over the place. I can see he hasn’t any control on how he is moving.
Any ideas?

auntiejude

Reaction score
My axies have had hiccups from time to time - sometimes it's followed by regurgitation of undigested food, sometimes it just stops.

But if it's every time he moves it could be something else.
How old is your axie?
What are you feeding him?
What are your water parameters?
If you have other axies do any of them show similar symptoms?

Flee

Reaction score
Re: Axie Hic cups ???

He (sex unsure) is 5.5 months old sooty is in with another 5 axies all same age in a 4 foot tank 3 are siblings and 2 are from another breeder. Sooty is the only one making this hic cup like movement. its been for 24hrs now.

They are given sinking pallents in the moring and each night either earthworms or blood worms. I watched sooty eat an earth worm tonight so I know he is eating. (they dont all eat everytime I feed them they choose when they are hungry otherwise they walk away)

I checked my water today and the ph 7.4 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40ppm
and water temp is at 19

Skudo09

Reaction score
I wouldn't be giving it a salt bath for hiccups. Generally salt baths are used for fungal infections and are very stressful and irritate the axolotls skin. I doubt it would help your axolotls hiccups and would only cause unnecessary stress to your axolotl.

Flee

Reaction score
the video had the following info :
Just a short video of my sick axolotl. This affliction was apparently a small parasite infection causing aggravation and was solved by refrigeration and salt baths.

I said mine had Hiccups as I really didnt know what to call it.

I dont want to do anything to hurt him I just want to fix him as its now been nearly 2 days and if anything its happening more often.

The clip above the spot on to what he is doing so thats why I was going to do the salt and fridge.

More help please??

Skudo09

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your axolotl? Is he scratching his gills at all? If he looks like he is trying to scratch his gills it be an indication that it could be a parasite though doesn't rule out a parasite if he isn't scratching his gills.

Salt baths are quite stressful and I would want to be certain that the condition of the axolotl is one that a salty bath would be very likely to help. I think it might be best to wait for someone with more experience with this type of situation.

Flee

Reaction score
he isnt scratching his gills at all with his feet but he is moving one side of his gills more than the other if that makes sense.

I will try to get a video of him moving. i cant see any different around his gills

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1