Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Lets Talk Filters

Janilla

Reaction score
I'm looking into setting up a tank to house axolotls, but for the life of me I cannot find any solid information on what is the best, so if any owners could take a look at this and possibly give me this info?

What brand is your filter?
:
What is the specific Model?:
Will it work for a 20gal?:
Price Range:
Links?:

I would REALLY appreciate any help anyone can offer, links to websites where your recommended filter can be found would be amazing too!

auntiejude

Reaction score
For a 20gal you need a 80gal/hour filter (200-300L/H).

I personally prefer cannisters, but an internal or HOB would be OK for that size.

For my 60L tropical fish tank I have an tetratec cannister, for my 60L axie tanks I have 200L/H generic internal filters.

Cannisters are generally the most expensive type, others are cheaper. My big cannister for my large axie tank was about £80, the little internals filters I use range from £8-20.

Swampie

Reaction score
In both of my tanks (both 20L) I use a 10i-20i internal Tetra Whisper filter. On one, I have plastic bottle baffles on both intake and output. On the other I used pantyhose and a rubber band. Both do their job well, and with the baffle, they don't create a lot of current.

I like the option of having carbon, as it clears the water. It also has a place for biological filtration to occur (sponge or bioscrubbers that increase surface area for good bacteria to grow)

They were about $15-$20, you can get them on Amazon, or Walmart. This is the link to the exact one I use

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper...id=1395495717&sr=8-1&keywords=whisper+10i-20i

By being internal, you save that extra space behind the tank, so it can be closer to the wall. I actually have one hanging on a side instead of the back, so that I can see them from the front and back (its on a pass through between my kitchen and livingroom).

Some people don't like HOB (hang on back) filters, they prefer canister filters. On a canister filter you can purchase a spray bar that creates less current, but they are pretty pricey. The same effect can be found by using baffles.

Others say don't use internals because they may raise the tank temp. I can tell you that if they do, it is so minimal that it doesn't register on either of my thermometers.

It really comes down to personal preference, and price point. I have always had luck with this particular brand when I kept freshwater fish so why change now. :)

Hope that helps, lotls of luck ;)

milahoh

Reaction score
Is there anywhere where I can view instructions on how to create a baffle for my filter? I like having the filter in the tank, but I want to make sure the currant is as low as possible. Thanks.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I had an internal filter in my tank. My experience has taught me never to go with Fluval filters again. I've had so many problems with mine. I had an Interpet filter to start with which was a good little filter.

Now, I have an external canister filter (Eheim Ecco Pro) - So quiet I have to check it's still working! I don't think the temperature has changed at all from moving to external canister. It gave me more space in the axolotl tank as there's only 2 tubes in the aquarium now. however, as stated earlier external canisters are a lot more expensive.

The currant is very strong in my tank so I tied a shower puff to the end of the hose. The only visible movement now is from the air stone.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 173
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1