Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank bottom: substrate versus slate

milahoh

Reaction score
Hello, all. I have been doing research and such regarding substrate in the axolotl tank, and I decided to go to a slate bottom. The website that recommended the slate has a step on the instructions where the slate tiles are anchored in with 100% silicone, completely cured, of course... I however skipped this step (why use chemicals when you dont have to?) and simply fitted the times closely together (took about half an hour to find the combination where they all fit). I had previously housed my single Axolotl in a sand-bottomed tank, and I was surprised how much sand he has pooped out in the 18 hours since he moved into his new digs. I can't help but think that this must be better for him than eating sand all the time, so I hope this 20 gallon environment will eventually house two related males and an unrelated female (with more hides and real plants, of course, but its a work in progress). Axel, The pink leucistic shown, is about seven inches long and has a bulge in the cloaca region I believe indicates he is likely a male (anyone agree/disagree? Couldn't get a pic...). I am picking up a green male (hopefully) this week from the same breeder as Axel, and ordering a six inch or larger melanistic female from another breeder next month. If any are too small to be out of the cannibalistic phase, I will house it separately of course until he is to size. Anyway, opinions regarding my setup? I am open to criticism as well, guys, I want to house my axies the way they need to be housed. :happy:

Attachments

• IMGP3738.jpg
    IMGP3738.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • IMGP3740.jpg
    IMGP3740.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 822

auntiejude

Reaction score
If your slate tiles are not fixed down you will get gunk and poop underneath them - you will nee to lift them on a regular basis to clean underneath. There's a reson most people silicone them down.

A 20gal is not big enough for 3 axies, only 2.

If you are intending to breed you should have one male - more than one and you can't identify the father when the female lays.

How old is your axie? If you post a pic of it's cloaca region someone will be able to say whether it's boy or girl.

milahoh

Reaction score
That is a good idea. I have two ten gallon tanks I am putting slate bottoms in, so I will be sure to silicone those down. I don't know what the sexes are of the two I am picking up at the end of next week (driving three hours to get them, one for me and one for a friend), perhaps I will keep a female then if there is one, then she can house with the melanistic female eventually in the 20 and I can keep the male separate in a ten. Then when I want to breed, I can selectively set them up in a separate tank to breed, then return them. I don't plan to breed for some time, if ever, so even if I end up with a couple 20 gal tanks with the sexes separated, thats okay too. I won't be breeding until I have an appropriate set-up, and I have a lot of reading to do, so no one worry. I will do it right if I breed at all. Advice is always welcome, though, thank you. :) :happy:

Also, here is a shot of "his" cloaca. "He" is around seven inches long; the tiles in his tank are six by six, so I am judging by that.

Attachments

• IMGP3741.jpg
    IMGP3741.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 363

HayleyK

Reaction score
Looks female to me, I got excited and thought my axolotl was developing into a male but it's been the same for ages. If day it's actually female.

milahoh

Reaction score
Interesting. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it. So a male should have bigger equipment at that size, huh?

Skudo09

Reaction score
Males have a much larger bulge. Females can have a little one like yours does. When you see a male, you will know :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1