Saaaand

Kaini

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I was thinking about re-doing Zion's tank now that he's a little bigger. (It's pretty utilitarian right now)

He's around 5 inches - big enough for sand substrate? I'd buy him a special food bowl too. Here's the little derp with my hand for a visual:

IMG_3218_zps27f759b8.jpg

(and then he tried to eat my fingers, the little dork. like being attacked by a wet noodle)

I was thinking this black sand (because hnnnng black sand with a golden albino yes): Amazon.com: Super Naturals Tahitian Moon Aquarium Sand, 20 Lb, 19 X 12 X 1.75: Pet Supplies It's PH neutral and extra fine grade. I have the white version in my other tanks and I LOOOVEEE IT. But this sand looks... a little more coarse? Anyone ever used it? I wish my local pet stores had it, I kinda want to look at it in person lol.

Also are there any live plants that would survive in that sand? I realize axies like to destroy live planets but hey I like living on the edge.

Thoughts, input? What shall I do.

I like a slate bottom- just did mine, and its so much easier to clean! And I was surprised how much sand my axie pooed out. :p

Buy-Axolotls.com How_to_Make_an_Axolo

I like this site, but I am not sure how right they are about two axies in a 10 gallon. That seems a little small to me.

I don't want to do slate in my tank. I was asking about the sand I'd chosen and if it was suitable c:

but this is important - don't listen to ANYTHING you see on buy-axolotls.com. That site is notorious for MISINFORMATION and the owner has been known to scam both money and animals from people.

Some of the misinformation on that site could lead to the death of your animal (it says you can put axies in chlorinated water... because swimming pools do it and no one has died in a swimming pool. What???)

Jeez I feel like I spent 50% of my time putting out fires made by that site.

You WHAT? It is considered by most on ths site to have the worst advice on axies ever seen. Bad info, incorrect advice, dumb ideas. And overpriced axies..

Okay, okay, well, I did say there were already questions in my mind regarding the contents, and to be honest, all I get from that site is the idea to use slate in the tanks. And unless that is bad somehow, then no harm done. And that is why I use forums like this- to educate myself through the advice of experts, not just websites generated by Google. My Axie is in what appears to be very good health. I do not use chlorinated water, I keep the temperature below 68 degrees. He eats pellets formulated for axolotls, and the filter on his tank is set up for the least possible current. He has grown like crazy (five inches in less than three months), so I must not being doing too much wrong. Sorry I weighed in at all.

You're fine milahoh, it sounds like you're taking fine care of your Axie. We've just seen that site quoted so many times it gets a little annoying. We were just trying to warn you. :)

Aaaanyway I'll probably just get the same sand I use in my other tanks.

Sorry I weighed in at all.

Don't take offence - as Kaini said we spend a lot of time on here undoing some of the damage done by various websites and LFSs who give bad advice You were right in thinking some of the stuff there was suspect.

By all means ask questions, but do a search first - there are questions that come up daily (floating axie anyone?!) on here and it gets a bit tedious giving out the same info time and time again.

Since we're not talking about sand, have you considered AstroTurf?

Since we're not talking about sand, have you considered AstroTurf?

But we are talking about sand? XD

I'd seen that used but personally it doesn't appeal to me in a fish tank. Personal preference.

I am sorry, didn't mean to sound so very offended. I do appreciate your advice, and it must get tiring to answer the same question 75 times. :happy: I do like to search and read this forum, just had not run into anything regarding that website being bad. I also didn't like their statement that axolotls need no filtration (that is regarding 2 in a ten gallon) if you change their water weekly. That sounded suspect to me. Is this why they state that axolotls take a breath from the surface every 20 minutes; their water is under-oxygenated? Sounds stressful for the animals to me.

Also- Astroturf? Thats interesting.

That is the exact sand I am using in my tank. It is a bit coarser than other sands. Not by much, but it is not silt. I waited until my axies were 5-6 inches and then put them on it in their 55 gallon. I also only hand fed or fed in feeding jars. I would make sure no scraps drifted out of the jars while feeding. If it did I used a turkey baster to suck it up immediately to keep them from eating it later and ingesting sand on accident. But I would do the same with any type of sand that would be used.

Supposedly they have changed the sand to a slightly different, less coarse type in the last year or so. There are no large pieces in there if that is what you are worried about.
Regardless of what type of sand you use, make sure to rinse it thoroughly, even if it says no rinsing needed.

This is what the pieces look like.

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 182
Thank you for that info geckogal! How long have you had that sand in your tank? I'm interested again if they've made it better in the past year...

I have my 4.5 and 5 inch axie on sand. They tried to eat it at first but got the hint it didn't taste good. I got my black sand from Petsmart but it made my tank very cloudy for like two weeks. I bought some more sand from Petco a few days ago since my tank didn't have enough and now my tank is cloudy once more. lol after it finally got clear...smh :D

Gonna ask here rather than make a new thread - I've decided on the same white sand from my other tanks, it's cheaper and I know 100% safe.

But I wanted to buy some slate or granite tiles and silicone them into hides :) Levels in the tank, Zion really likes to zip around and explore!

Do these look okay? Would they be safe to use?

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Prem...8&qid=1395539486&sr=8-8&keywords=granite+tile

Amazon.com: Brazilian Black ( Montauk Black ) Cleft Slate Tile 4"x4" ( Sample ): Home Improvement

I like the slate.

Also- Astroturf? Thats interesting.
I was just throwing out something other than sand to annoy Kaini. There are people on here who have used it lol.

Since you are asking about granite tile, you might find this thread interesting: New 125g build

They start showing examples near the bottom.

Hi Kaini,

I've used aquarium sand ever since putting my axies in the tank....been there since they were 5 inches long. Not had any problems but I do feed them out of a feeding jar and not off the sand itself.....hope that helps. :happy:

Attachments

• 19 (5).jpg
    19 (5).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 24 (24).jpg
    24 (24).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 162
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back