Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken leg?

NatashaDSaville

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty likely that my axolotl has just broken her leg, there is a lump just above her foot. I'm hoping that with some TLC she will recover.

I just wanted confirmation though on whether this is the case. I checked her out a little closer and it doesn't look like a growth, and I've only noticed this yesterday. Plus as I am new to this, I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

She's about 7 months old, she is eating fine. In fact, she doesn't seem to want to stop eating (though I am only feeding her the recommended amount). It doesn't seem to be bothering her and she was happy for me to examine it. After feeding and/or adding fresh water into the tank, she tends to get pretty excited and swims everywhere, just up and down the tank and wedging herself into the plants. So I am assuming that she got this while doing that :( I have cleared a little 'race track' around the edge of the tank to help clear her path when she does this, but I am thinking she may have gotten this from the filtration system. She tends to wedge herself in there, and despite trying to block her entrance to it, she still seems to find a way in. So I taken away the obstacles to avoid her getting stuck there. She has this attitude of "it's either my way or the highway".

She has also caught her tail, so now there is a v shape tear in her fin. I've been keeping an eye on it, and it does look a bit better than it did before. I was so worried the tip was going to completely fall off!

Tank temp is about 17 degrees, I also do 30% water changes a little more regularly than is required to keep water fresh while she heals and feed her a mixture of blood worms and pellets.

I've attached photos, tank included, to see what you guys thought, and if I should be doing anything differently. Poor little baby looks so beaten up, she is very hyper :(

axolotl_02.jpg
axolotl_01.jpg
axolotl_03.jpg
axolotl_04.jpg
axolotl_05.jpg

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
How is your gal doing now? My lotls are very stubborn as well! Definitely best to choose your battles with them! Hope her foots getting better :happy:

E

Elise

I've attached photos, tank included, to see what you guys thought, and if I should be doing anything differently.

Would you mind taking a couple more pictures of your axolotl including the whole body? Perhaps one showing her from the side and another from the top down? Also, could you take a current picture of your tank as it is today? No need to tidy anything up, in fact it would be better if it were shown as is.

NatashaDSaville

Reaction score
How is your gal doing now? My lotls are very stubborn as well! Definitely best to choose your battles with them! Hope her foots getting better :happy:

Thank you! She seems to be the only one not worried about this haha, I think perhaps just me! She's eating all her food and swimming around like nothing's happened. So fingers crossed the lump will go and she'll be fine :happy:

NatashaDSaville

Reaction score
Would you mind taking a couple more pictures of your axolotl including the whole body? Perhaps one showing her from the side and another from the top down? Also, could you take a current picture of your tank as it is today? No need to tidy anything up, in fact it would be better if it were shown as is.

That photo up there is the one I took a few minutes before writing that thread. I tend to keep it tidy and clean away any debris and food as soon as I see it. Here's a new photo, but please note that I've just changed the sand and done a water change due to ammonia level (which was low but couldn't get rid of it, think it was something in the sand as now it's at 0.0). So now the tanks a bit cloudy. The filter is missing from this photo and the terracotta pot is not there - it's with her in the tub while things settle down a bit.

I've tried taking some but the low light level is making it difficult. I can't take one of her side because the box she is in has misted sides so I've got the top down for you.

f0210722-7f12-4b14-9b08-c61a6121a902.jpg
fa5e04c9-4362-4810-a86f-f627d7e775f0.jpg

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing fine to me. 17C is right where they like it, so that's definitely not a problem. The water changes are good.She should be starting to slow down more @ 7months, just sounds like you have an active lotl! Maybe make her background and the environment around her tank dark, that could settle her down some possibly. Her tail must have caught on something in the tank, so run your fingers around and see what it might be. If the HOB filters the issue, pull it out and get a bio foam filter or canister filter, or shield it somehow.

Ariel

Reaction score
I would also guess broken or disloated foot because of how the right leg and foot is shorter and at a different angle than the left, unless it is in the process of regeneration.

Do the back toes seem to grip well when walking, or does the foot sort of hang?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1