Question: Cycling my tank

JamieOleBoy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I am newly registered however a long time lurker of the forum. I have gathered info regarding my axie set up for about 2 weeks now and got a few things set up to get the process going for the new critter. Currently I have a 40 gallon tank running a fluval 406 pump and might buy an oceanic chiller since I am from Houston and it gets rather warm here. Would temperatures at 72 be an issue for an axie? Temperature seems to be a highly debated topic however I've read enough to know anything about 75 is toxic. Anyway, back to the purposed question - can I cycle my tank with live plants and frozen brine shrimp? Might it be Best to pick up a cycle supporting solution from a LFS? Sorry to ramble on. Here is is a pic for the starter it is still a work in progress! PS I picked up the API tester kit from amazon as well.
aqagutam.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

72 is going to be a little high as a sustained temp. The ideal range for Axies is under 70 degrees, preferably 60-68. I keep my tank around 62.
So a chiller might be a good call.

Frozen brine shrimp aren't going to be the best/ most efficient source of ammonia (just pure ammonia would be better) but I think that will work ...?

In my opinion those cycling solutions are a waste of money - the bacteria inside aren't true nitrifying bacteria (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter) but a different type that can be made dormant inside the package. it also dies out faster, so you're likely to cycle your tank and have it crash when those bacteria run out. People who have had luck with it just happened to establish the real bacteria before the product crashed. (I've never had luck with these products).

And since the bacteria are free around you to cycle your tank normally, why spend the money?

Good point and thanks for the response. What are your thoughts on a fish cycle? Will this take longer than normal? Are ghost shrimp a problem for fish cycle?

I would advise against a fish-in cycle. It's cruel to the fish.

Can you just find pure ammonia somewhere where you live? It's much easier. Or fish food will also work - find some goldfish food or something, something that will decay and create ammonia.

And ghost shrimp wouldn't work because their bioload is small and they're extremely sensitive to water quality - they'd die. 100% they'd be dead going through a cycle.

I have some old tetra food laying around I could use I suppose. So I've taken my levels with the API kit and it shows I have ammonia and nitrate levels already? I am confused. I do have a piece of driftwood and an artifical plant from an old tank. Also have 2 potted live plants. Any idea?

Edit. The tank had not been set up for over a year so I couldn't use the equipment to start a cycle.

I think that would work. Just 'feed' the tank daily as if there were fish in it.

The only thing is the decaying food might attract a fungus that feeds on dead things - just make sure to clean it all out before you add your animal.

what were your exact readings? the ammonia could be from any number of things including your tap (there's ..25 ppm ammonia in my tap for example) as could the nitrite.

pH = 7.6
Ammonia = .5
Nitrate = .25
Nitrite = 0

Thanks for staying tuned in. I'm now debating the aqua euro chiller versus the oceanic. Here's my tank at this time.

be2a6uvu.jpg

Your PH is fine so you don't have to keep testing it - it's not going to change. *tilts head* The tank looks so nice!

Yea it just seems like those readings just might be in your water. You can start cycling it like that, it doesn't matter. Dose the ammonia up to 4ppm and you're on your way~

Sweet. Thanks for the help I read and read sometimes it's just not enough haha. I'm so excited for the critter gotta make sure everything is perfect. I still need to a spray bar. Do you have any suggestions on chillers besides the oceanic or aqua euro? I plan to get some floating plants like frogbit as well and possibly swap the lighting for a black moonlighting display

Sweet. Thanks for the help I read and read sometimes it's just not enough haha. I'm so excited for the critter gotta make sure everything is perfect. I still need to a spray bar. Do you have any suggestions on chillers besides the oceanic or aqua euro? I plan to get some floating plants like frogbit as well and possibly swap the lighting for a black moonlighting display

I can't recommend chillers unfortunately, I use a fan to cool my tank =v=

Frogbit sounds good though! I'd like some frogbit.... I currently have duckweed in my tank and it gets everywhere lol.

I've read about the fans. I am not sure if that would be enough for me. At the highest the temp sits at 75 and it isn't even summer yet.

I've read about the fans. I am not sure if that would be enough for me. At the highest the temp sits at 75 and it isn't even summer yet.

Yea I don't think it'd work for you :c I'm able to control the temp in my room to begin with, so the fan only needs to nudge it down a few degrees. It sounds like you're going to need a chiller, definitely. I have no experience with them, so hopefully someone else can advise you there.

Dang, alrighty then. I appreciate you chiming in with the knowledge I will be sure to keep things posted on the cycle as I plan to find a breeder for my axie through the site. If anyone has a suggestion on the chiller please let me know! Until then I will be browsing for more info.

After contemplating the oceanic I found out that corallife now owns oceanic so I made the purchase for one through amazon. I can't wait to see it and hook it through my canister pump which will determine how I set up my spray bar. Things are coming together and I can't hardly wait to see the grin of an axie in the tank :) - I'm on the look out for some frogbit for the time being going to call around the area tomorrow during work breaks.

Just an update I ran my tests today and came back with these numbers.

Ammonia = .25
Nitrite = 2
Nitrate = 10

Can someone tell me if this is good? I assume I dose the ammonia again?

I also picked up some frogbit and duckweed for free :)

u5ega8e5.jpg

Yep, those readings mean you're getting somewhere! Dose the ammonia back up to 4ppm and watch it go down again! Since there's nitrate showing you're almost there.

I have had the tank running for 4 days. I can't believe I got it my first try haha. I used beta food and frozen brine shrimp

And my chiller arrives by Wednesday!! Whoopiiiiee!

*blinks* I'm not sure how you could have gotten those readings in only four days??? Did you add anything to the tank from another, established tank? Wat

I have about 2 live plants from other tanks. I don't know either I am just going off the readings

The water is pretty murky as well.

*blinks* I'm not sure how you could have gotten those readings in only four days??? Did you add anything to the tank from another, established tank? Wat

If this is impossible should I take another testing and post the pics? I just am wanting to be on the right track.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back