PDA

View Full Version : Axolotls being used for skin cream

Smoxolotl
23rd March 2014, 16:31
On a recent trip to my favorite corner market for some delicious soft tacos, I noticed a little jar in their medicine counter. I believe it said Ajolote Salvia. I asked the nice lady behind the counter about it, and her reply was that its very good for your skin. This made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Ok... I will admit that I haven't researched this particular topic since that encounter, and that is very unlike me because I have to research everything, thats just me. The posting here is definitely more of a knee-jerk reaction to the shock. ..

First ? Where do the axolotls that are used coming from?
Second ? How do we stop this practice?

Maybe if we all made this a big enough priority, we could end this. I sincerely hope so. :yin-yang:

auntiejude
23rd March 2014, 20:53
I believe 'ajolote salvia' is possibly a local name for a type sage (salvia = sage). It would be a herbal skincare cream.

The best references for it come from cannabis related websites.....

tinyali
23rd March 2014, 21:26
I just tried to Google this and ended up finding recipes for axolotl in sage and tomato sauce :eek:
I'm part horrified and part wondering what it would taste like...and then back to horrified again. Don't worry auntiejude, I definitely won't eat mine...

sde
23rd March 2014, 21:36
You know there was actually a joke going around a while ago between me and a few members. It involved someone on here buying axies to eat them. It was a really funny joke, but now........well.....I am wondering if it was a joke at all........:eek:..........

auntiejude
23rd March 2014, 22:06
I believe axolotls are eaten in parts of Asia as a delicacy. But then if you research what animals are eaten in various places around the world you'd come up with some other things that would make you gulp - from roast guinea-pig to stir-fried scorpions.....

matias
23rd March 2014, 23:15
in some parts of mexico axolotls are eaten and are used as medicine. so, that wouldn´t be a surprise

michael
24th March 2014, 00:21
A friend of mine gave me this.

Kaini
24th March 2014, 00:30
What... is it.????

Smoxolotl
24th March 2014, 02:16
That was basically it Michael. I'll make sure to take a pic next time of the container. And no, Auntie Jude, it doesn't have anything to do with cannabis ( believe me, i'd know ;)). This is a real thing, and ajolote was the main ingredient.

auntiejude
24th March 2014, 07:32
The refernce I was talking about was asking if 'ajolote salvia' needed UV light - definately a hydroponics question. Salvia is sage, sabila is aloe.

But the translation on the jar says 'ointment of axolotl with aloe' and 'commited to caring for wildlife'.

It appears to be a cure for hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins. I found it on a mexican website that also sells belladonna cream and coyote cream...

I can only assume they farm the axies - they are prolific breeders and it wouldn't be hard.

mikeg
24th March 2014, 20:09
By far the most disturbing thing iv found about Axolotls is.......Well the picture iv attached is worth 1000 words

................Doesn't even look appetizing, it makes me not want to eat................

Kaini
24th March 2014, 20:24
I'm going to have nightmares

Azhael
24th March 2014, 20:31
It appears to be a cure for hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins. I found it on a mexican website that also sells belladonna cream and coyote cream... .

So your average pointless woo filled jar produced to extract money from the gullible...
Yeah, how do we stop THAT practice?

Smoxolotl
24th March 2014, 23:23
This is the jar in question. @ michael: Yikes! :eek: @ auntie jude, my mistake on the spelling.. but now I kind of want some :D @ Rodrigo: I hope it is just a gimmick, however it says ajolote & aloe vera.

scorpio110684
25th March 2014, 01:07
By far the most disturbing thing iv found about Axolotls is.......Well the picture iv attached is worth 1000 words

................Doesn't even look appetizing, it makes me not want to eat................

Thats definitely not appetizing in my book.

sde
25th March 2014, 04:03
Michael Michael Michael! Your scaring the pants off me man! Stop posting those creepy pictures of fried lotls! I swear i am going to have nightmares. I bet that those fried lotls would make a good horror movie monster, at least for us phib lovers.

Now i am going to go punch the fridge in disgust, cry myself to sleep, and then have nightmares.....:mad: :cry: :uhoh:

Kaini
25th March 2014, 04:10
Michael Michael Michael! Your scaring the pants off me man! Stop posting those creepy pictures of fried lotls! I swear i am going to have nightmares. I bet that those fried lotls would make a good horror movie monster, at least for us phib lovers.

Now i am going to go punch the fridge in disgust, cry myself to sleep, and then have nightmares.....:mad: :cry: :uhoh:

You and me both, I get enough nightmares related to my fish (does anyone else get these? I've had everything from them getting out and swimming IN AIR to tank leaks etc), now I'm gonna be seeing my lotl fried and crispy in my sleep /cries forever :cry:

Smoxolotl
25th March 2014, 04:16
I've seen myself looking up at the top of the tank from the inside with lots of bubble, current, and big scary fish shadows around me. It was pretty freaky. I do space out on my tanks alot tho! :uhoh:

snuggly time
25th March 2014, 08:36
I came across a video on how to cook axolotls on Youtube once. :(

I can see why some people wouldn't mind eating them. But to us it would be like eating a dog or cat which is a definite 'No No!' in a lot of countries.

jakeztheone
25th March 2014, 16:56
They eat axies in Mexico! Apparently they taste like chicken-fish. I'd slay anyone if they ever attempted to eat my Pac-Os!

milahoh
25th March 2014, 17:05
In some parts of the world, people truly will and do eat anything. Makes me sad, though. I love my pets too much to even think about that. I have a huge oscar fish, and a friend always teases me about eating her, and it makes me a little bit ill every time. I don't understand why he thinks its so funny. Except that he proves my point that some people truly will eat anything. I don't get it, but I am just not that hungry I suppose. :confused:

Smoxolotl
25th March 2014, 17:29
Some people have to eat anything they can find, and I can understand that. And yes people will eat anything, that is definitely true. This thread was supposed to be about stopping their use in cosmetics. If the ajolote on the label is just a gimmick, Great! But if axolotls are being churned out by axolotl mills for use in lotions, etc. I'm going to fight against them! I just wanted to see if anyone on here was educated about this.:yin-yang:

Chinadog
25th March 2014, 17:36
Don't get me wrong, I love Axies, omg they're so cute etc, etc... But I'd rather see Axolotls on the slab than Bluefin tuna, at least the Axolotls are sustainable.

mikeg
25th March 2014, 20:45
Sorry for those pictures, they truly are disturbing. I should have posted a link instead.

sde
26th March 2014, 03:30
Haha, its OK Michael :happy: They aren't THAT disturbing......OK, so they kind of are but oh well.
At least you didn't post a picture of a deep fried axie on top of ice cream :p

milahoh
26th March 2014, 15:23
Some people have to eat anything they can find, and I can understand that. And yes people will eat anything, that is definitely true. This thread was supposed to be about stopping their use in cosmetics. If the ajolote on the label is just a gimmick, Great! But if axolotls are being churned out by axolotl mills for use in lotions, etc. I'm going to fight against them! I just wanted to see if anyone on here was educated about this.:yin-yang:

I agree! The use of animal products in a skin cream is needless, to say the least.