Axolotls being used for skin cream

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mike
On a recent trip to my favorite corner market for some delicious soft tacos, I noticed a little jar in their medicine counter. I believe it said Ajolote Salvia. I asked the nice lady behind the counter about it, and her reply was that its very good for your skin. This made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Ok... I will admit that I haven't researched this particular topic since that encounter, and that is very unlike me because I have to research everything, thats just me. The posting here is definitely more of a knee-jerk reaction to the shock. ..

First ? Where do the axolotls that are used coming from?
Second ? How do we stop this practice?

Maybe if we all made this a big enough priority, we could end this. I sincerely hope so. :yin-yang:

I believe 'ajolote salvia' is possibly a local name for a type sage (salvia = sage). It would be a herbal skincare cream.

The best references for it come from cannabis related websites.....

I just tried to Google this and ended up finding recipes for axolotl in sage and tomato sauce :eek:
I'm part horrified and part wondering what it would taste like...and then back to horrified again. Don't worry auntiejude, I definitely won't eat mine...

You know there was actually a joke going around a while ago between me and a few members. It involved someone on here buying axies to eat them. It was a really funny joke, but now........well.....I am wondering if it was a joke at all........:eek:..........

I believe axolotls are eaten in parts of Asia as a delicacy. But then if you research what animals are eaten in various places around the world you'd come up with some other things that would make you gulp - from roast guinea-pig to stir-fried scorpions.....

in some parts of mexico axolotls are eaten and are used as medicine. so, that wouldn´t be a surprise

A friend of mine gave me this.

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,888
That was basically it Michael. I'll make sure to take a pic next time of the container. And no, Auntie Jude, it doesn't have anything to do with cannabis ( believe me, i'd know ;)). This is a real thing, and ajolote was the main ingredient.

The refernce I was talking about was asking if 'ajolote salvia' needed UV light - definately a hydroponics question. Salvia is sage, sabila is aloe.

But the translation on the jar says 'ointment of axolotl with aloe' and 'commited to caring for wildlife'.

It appears to be a cure for hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins. I found it on a mexican website that also sells belladonna cream and coyote cream...

I can only assume they farm the axies - they are prolific breeders and it wouldn't be hard.

By far the most disturbing thing iv found about Axolotls is.......Well the picture iv attached is worth 1000 words

................Doesn't even look appetizing, it makes me not want to eat................

Attachments

• 2e9b0867.jpg
    2e9b0867.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 18,104
  • P1500490.jpg
    P1500490.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,331
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,180
It appears to be a cure for hemorrhoids, gout and varicose veins. I found it on a mexican website that also sells belladonna cream and coyote cream... .

So your average pointless woo filled jar produced to extract money from the gullible...
Yeah, how do we stop THAT practice?

This is the jar in question. @ michael: Yikes! :eek: @ auntie jude, my mistake on the spelling.. but now I kind of want some :D @ Rodrigo: I hope it is just a gimmick, however it says ajolote & aloe vera.

Attachments

• Ajolote Savila.jpg
    Ajolote Savila.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,258
By far the most disturbing thing iv found about Axolotls is.......Well the picture iv attached is worth 1000 words

................Doesn't even look appetizing, it makes me not want to eat................

Thats definitely not appetizing in my book.

Michael Michael Michael! Your scaring the pants off me man! Stop posting those creepy pictures of fried lotls! I swear i am going to have nightmares. I bet that those fried lotls would make a good horror movie monster, at least for us phib lovers.

Now i am going to go punch the fridge in disgust, cry myself to sleep, and then have nightmares.....:mad: :cry: :uhoh:

Michael Michael Michael! Your scaring the pants off me man! Stop posting those creepy pictures of fried lotls! I swear i am going to have nightmares. I bet that those fried lotls would make a good horror movie monster, at least for us phib lovers.

Now i am going to go punch the fridge in disgust, cry myself to sleep, and then have nightmares.....:mad: :cry: :uhoh:

You and me both, I get enough nightmares related to my fish (does anyone else get these? I've had everything from them getting out and swimming IN AIR to tank leaks etc), now I'm gonna be seeing my lotl fried and crispy in my sleep /cries forever :cry:

I've seen myself looking up at the top of the tank from the inside with lots of bubble, current, and big scary fish shadows around me. It was pretty freaky. I do space out on my tanks alot tho! :uhoh:

I came across a video on how to cook axolotls on Youtube once. :(

I can see why some people wouldn't mind eating them. But to us it would be like eating a dog or cat which is a definite 'No No!' in a lot of countries.

They eat axies in Mexico! Apparently they taste like chicken-fish. I'd slay anyone if they ever attempted to eat my Pac-Os!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back