Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oddball larvae

rachel1

Reaction score
I have been raising a small clutch from my wildtype male and my golden albino female. I have mostly wildtype, but about 25% are white with just a little color on their heads and down the spine. Would they be considered heavily freckled leucistics? They have a lot of speckling for leucistic, but they are significantly lighter than the wilds. Here's a picture of one, and with a wildtype sibling for comparison. Anybody had babies like these before? How did they turn out as adults?

Attachments

• Poss Leuc.jpg
    Poss Leuc.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Lucy &WT.jpg
    Lucy &WT.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 366

auntiejude

Reaction score
If you look at the pattern of freckles on the tail it looks like a wildtype. But you have to remeber that wildtypes come in lots of different shades - green, brown, black, tan - any combination. But it could also be leucistic, you'll just have to wait a few weeks to find out.

Do you know the parents of your adults?

rachel1

Reaction score
My wildtype male had a melanoid mother and either golden albino or leucistic father. His siblings were wildtype, leucistic, white albino, and golden albino. I don't know enough about genetics to know if that helps narrow down which one was his dad.
I have no history on my golden albino female.

rachel1

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how they turn out as they get bigger! I'll have to post updated pics as they grow. :D

auntiejude

Reaction score
My wildtype male had a melanoid mother and either golden albino or leucistic father. His siblings were wildtype, leucistic, white albino, and golden albino.
Could be either, but I'm betting on the leucistic being grandpa.

Your female must carry a leucistic gene to produce leucistic babies, it will be interesting if you come back in a few weeks with new photos.

rachel1

Reaction score
So it turns out I had both light colored wildtype and leucistic. The wildtype developed more and more freckles on the tail as it grew. The others were leucistic, and the speckling looks smaller now, I think because all the new tissue they are growing is white. Here is the light wildtype, two leucistic, and my biggest wildtype-almost 1.25 inches now!

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 262
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 421
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 431
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 249

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
They are lighter wild types, I have quite a few myself, they may stay light or darken as they get bigger.

rachel1

Reaction score
A good number of them are definitely freckled leucistic. My understanding of the leucistic mutation is that the pigment fails to migrate off the neural crest (head and sometimes spine) in developing larvae. When they were young, the leucistic and light wilds looked identical. Now they are very obviously different. In the leucistics, you can still see the spots they originally had down the spine. There is no pigment anywhere that they did not have when they hatched out. The light wilds have been developing pigment in places that they didn't have it at first, like across their tails. Here's a couple pics of them now. Two leucy, 2 light wild, dark wild, and my most freckled leucy. They are approaching 2 inches, and growing in their back legs.

Attachments

• photo_4 (3).jpg
    photo_4 (3).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 265
  • photo_4 (1).jpg
    photo_4 (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 212
  • photo_2 (2).jpg
    photo_2 (2).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 220
  • photo_1 (2).jpg
    photo_1 (2).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 206
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 269
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 218

rachel1

Reaction score
Here you go! 7 weeks old when I took these pics.

Attachments

• photo_1 (2).jpg
    photo_1 (2).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 198
  • photo_1 (3).jpg
    photo_1 (3).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 439
  • photo_2 (2).jpg
    photo_2 (2).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 195
  • photo_2 (3).jpg
    photo_2 (3).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 185
  • photo_3 (3).jpg
    photo_3 (3).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 196
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 176
  • photo_4 (2).jpg
    photo_4 (2).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 220

rachel1

Reaction score
Here they are at 9 weeks old. They are around 3.5 to 4" All the leucistics have new homes, so no more updates on them.

Attachments

• photo_1 (1).jpg
    photo_1 (1).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 169
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 162
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 284

rachel1

Reaction score
They are now 12 weeks old. About 5" long at this point. Pardon the feeding time pics, they're cutest when they're begging! The green with black spots is one of the lighter wilds, and I'm keeping that one. :happy:

Attachments

• photo_1 (1).jpg
    photo_1 (1).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 182
  • photo_2 (1).jpg
    photo_2 (1).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 193
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 221
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 279

Lars

Reaction score
How did you get them to grow so quickly? I have three babies. Two are siblings, a leucistic and a wild type, and a melanoid from a different clutch (and breeder all together). The siblings are 24 weeks old (hatch day of Feb. 27) and are only about 5-6" long. Well, the leucistic is about 5.75" while the wild type is about 5". The breeder of the melanoid was unsure of the hatch date. He is a little smaller, about 4" or so. They have grown a lot since I have got them, but it just seemed that yours grew much quicker in a shorter amount of time, like half the amount of time lol. Just curious. I'm trying to offer them a variety diet of sinking newt/salamander pellets, some floating pellets, frozen bloodworms (their favorite, so they receive that the most) and some earthworms, when they'll actually keep them down. Is there something that I am doing wrong? These are my first lotls obviously.

Lars

Reaction score
By the way, I received the siblings around May 30th, so they were with the breeder for almost three months. The melanoid I got around the end of June. His growth seems to be fine though.

rachel1

Reaction score
My babies had access to live food 24/7- daphnia and blackworms. When they got around 3" long, I started offering chunks of earthworm twice daily, in addition to as much blackworms as they wanted. I'm thinking that food wasn't a limiting factor, so they grew really quickly. I also kept this batch separately in individual tubs with 100% water changes twice daily, so maybe lower competition and clean water also played a role. I have read that genetics also play a role in growth rates. I was kind of hoping they would grow a bit slower, as I had to find homes pretty quickly!

rachel1

Reaction score
Also, the bigger they get, the slower they grow. So while they may go from 2" to 3" pretty quickly, the jump from 6" to 7" will take a lot longer.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I agree that nutrition early on is a major factor in growth. Plenty of food in the first 3 months will give them a great start in life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1