Axolotl type

JessJesting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright finally got that axie I've been posting about! Thank you to ALL who gave me advice! I'm still learning about all the different types of axolotls there are so help me out! What kind is my new guy (or girl lol)? I can get better pictures I snapped these quickly in my excitement!
9aqe4e3y.jpg
epa5e4ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see it's eyes properly. It looks like a leucistic. If it's eyes are solid black it is Melanoid leucistic. If it has a gold ring in its eye it's just a normal leucistic :)

It appears to be a normal leucistic to me :>

I do believe there is a golden ring in its eyes. I tried to get a better pic but being my stupid iPhone camera and so the guy is so little I couldn't get a good one of its eyes! Thanks guys! And the red coloring is his full belly am I correct?

The reddish/purple coloring in his belly are his organs :) as he grows bigger you will hardly see them.

Lol duh now I feel stupid. How do I know when to feed him again? Just try and see if he eats lol? I have him in this container until he gets a little bigger. Should I add an airstone or is that too much?

At that size they should eat everyday. I fed mine up to twice a day with smaller feelings.

Feed him bloodworms/blackworms until he seems uninterested in them. Clean out the tub and remove the worms and do again in the evening/morning.

A good indication of size if their bodies being as wide as it's head :)

If the airstone is gentle and container is large you could use one, but if it's too strong it could create too much turbulence and stress out your axolotl.

Thanks! I just got him today and the guy said they were already fed once. He was using frozen bloodworms which I already have cuz I use them as treats for my fish ! I have two containers I plan on switching back and forth so I can keep him in clean water. I can use conditioned tap water for him right? I use aquasafe plus for my fish.

If it's a dechlorinator then yes you can use it just be sure you're using the right amounts as babies are pretty sensitive!

As it gets older it should be on earthworms, it would be real handy to start now and if the earthworm is cut to am appropriate size he can start eating them! I started feeding my guys earthworms at I think 2-3". It can be a little tedious but well worth it.

Ok I planned on starting a worm farm to keep him fed. I'll start introducing them to him so he can get used to them! Thanks for the info!

Make sure your water is aged a bit as well as dechlorinated. I fill up a few 1ga.buckets with just a tiny drop of Prime each and let them sit overnight and do my water changes, cleaning, and baby brineshrimp/ blackworm rinsing with it. Letting the water sit a while will de-gas it, and babies are delicate.

Thank you! I'm so excited to have him! I can't wait to watch him grow! Feeding has been tedious but I feel I'm getting there!

for one gal of water you want more than just a drop of water conditioner.

He's about an inch and a quarter (little over 3cm) I tried to measure him today but it was difficult considering how little he is but that's as close as I could get. And as far as conditioner goes I always put in a few drops per 1 gallon.

Is he eating the frozen bloodworm? I'm trying to trick mine into eating them by putting in some live brine shrimp right near the bloodworm. So when it snaps at it, it gets s mouthful of both haha

Yeah he eats it. I use tweezers and wiggle it in front of his face until he snaps. Sometimes I will drop one right in front of his mouth to make sure he gets at least one when he snaps. It's just tedious getting him to snap.. He will wait forever and then finally do it, sometimes he startles me a bit cuz I'm so focused lol. This seems to be the only way I can get him to eat. Once he reaches a bigger size I'm gonna try him on cut up earthworms. I just keep offering until he doesn't seem interested anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back