Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Weird algae?

RenitaO

Reaction score
I have this strange clearish/white algae growing in my fish tank :( I don't know what it is. Does anybody recognize it as a specific strand? It started growing first on that branch of wood. I think it might have been in the wood. What should I do?

IMG_20140323_150924_zps4d86e985.jpg

IMG_20140323_150944_zps950adfdf.jpg

RenitaO

Reaction score
I just did a partial water change, took out the branch, and washed all the plants. We'll see if it works. I don't know what to do with the branch, and it's a shame it had fungus on it :( It's huge and pretty and it was expensive.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
Well.. since no one's replied yet, I'll chime in. I'm not sure that this would be the best solution, and you would have to be careful about reintroducing the wood, but I'd try soaking it in a bleach water solution for at least 24hours. The main problem with this that I can see is that the porous wood could/will soak up the bleach and release it over time, or instantly possibly. I would definitely quarantine the wood for quite a while after bleaching, and probably seal the wood with a tank appropriate varnish! :confused:

kcoscia

Reaction score
Hello!
The white on your wood is completely safe and normal! That happens sometimes with new wood. It will go away on its own!
Don't throw it away and I wouldn't bleach it because it may leach bleach back into your tank.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Kaini

Reaction score
Hello!
The white on your wood is completely safe and normal! That happens sometimes with new wood. It will go away on its own!
Don't throw it away and I wouldn't bleach it because it may leach bleach back into your tank.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

I second this DON'T bleach your wood D:

E

Elise

I had this issue recently with some Malaysian driftwood I purchased.

I would disagree that it is completely harmless. My axolotl used the driftwood as a hide and eventually had the mold attach to her gills from brushing against it. The gill filaments which were in contact with the mold began to recede, which might have been atrophy as they had a white appearance. They regrew quickly but only after the problem was gone.

I removed both the wood and substrate and then sanitized all surface areas to clear up the growth. I left my filter alone. I also purchased some duckweed to help out-compete for nutrients, though this step might have been unnecessary.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
You can bleach wood, porous ornaments, etc. I have done this. You have to heavily rinse and quarantine them for extended periods of time tho. I've seen quite a few unnecessary problems created by not quarantining seriously. In a beautiful tank that you invest alot of time and $ and :love: in, its worth taking the extra time to make sure its safe or healthy. I like Elise's insight on this one. Out competing seems like an easy fix until more drastic measures are required.

kcoscia

Reaction score
You can bleach wood, porous ornaments, etc. I have done this. You have to heavily rinse and quarantine them for extended periods of time tho. I've seen quite a few unnecessary problems created by not quarantining seriously. In a beautiful tank that you invest alot of time and $ and :love: in, its worth taking the extra time to make sure its safe or healthy. I like Elise's insight on this one. Out competing seems like an easy fix until more drastic measures are required.

I agree with both of you. The thing is though, I don't think its an algae, more a fungus. So would out-competing work still?

Also, did you give the wood a good boil?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1