Question: Is She Gravid???

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hey,

Is my female T. granulosa gravid? Unfortunately I am thinking she is just fat with worms because I haven't seen any eggs and I don't think she is getting bigger. But I want others opinions because if the majority says yes than I want to move her to a setup by herself.
They have been amplexing a lot so its not like its random.

Thanks! -Seth

EDIT: You cant quite tell how fat she is in the pictures, but that's just what I have right now. I will try to get some better ones tomorrow maybe.

Attachments

• P1140971.jpg
    P1140971.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 220
  • P1140973.jpg
    P1140973.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 191
I think she is gravid, but why would you want to move her to a setup by herself?

Unfortunately I don't think she was in the end. She slimmed down a bit, until I fed more worms, and then she fattened up again, so I think she was just fat with the worms :( Unless she laid some eggs and I cant see them.

The reason is because I have heard from other forum members that this species may eats their own eggs, and though there is lots of places for her to hide them I didn't want to take that risk.

Gravid means carrying infertile eggs. A newt can be gravid for months without laying any. If you separated her from the male(s), there would be little chance of getting fertile eggs.

Well, yes I guess that's true. I just don't know how to tell if she is fertilized. I haven't seen her pick up any spermataphores, but she could have at night or when I am not watching.
So I thought that maybe if she looked fat I might as well separate her. I guess that's kind of pointless though. I guess the best option is to just look for eggs in the main tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back