Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need some help with the top

Kaini

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that it might rust over time. My fan/sponge filter creates a bit of 'spray' around the lid of the tank and there's limescale buildup to prove it, so I would worry about the metal mesh getting wet and rusting. Around a fish tank, a plastic would be better.

You can get craft mesh at like hobby lobby and cut it to fit your tank.

I don't know though, I've never had those lids in particular.

HayleyK

Reaction score
My concern with metal is as the water evaporates it may rust the metal causing it to flake into the water.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Hahah sorry for being a parrot and repeating you kaini! Your response hadn't come up yet :lol:

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
I was looking at something similar today and noticed that in order to get my airstones and sponge filters down into the tank, I would have had to cut out holes in the metal. As usual,I believe the ladies are right. Get a mesh top instead :happy:

jalauren

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that it might rust over time. My fan/sponge filter creates a bit of 'spray' around the lid of the tank and there's limescale buildup to prove it, so I would worry about the metal mesh getting wet and rusting. Around a fish tank, a plastic would be better.

You can get craft mesh at like hobby lobby and cut it to fit your tank.

I don't know though, I've never had those lids in particular.

Only thing I could find on Hobby Lobby's website was way too small /: Any other suggestions?

(Oh and thanks for the responses!!)

Kaini

Reaction score

smurfrider

Reaction score
http://www.mrsstitch.com/images/OurStitch Images/MeshDifference.jpg This is what people use I think? It's technically cross-stitching mesh I believe. You can buy big ole sheets of it at my hobby lobby - trying going to a physical store? Google it? 8>

I use 7 count plastic canvas mesh as a divider in my tank. Walmart sells the large sheets in 3 packs for pretty cheap, but if you have anything bigger than a 10 gallon you'd have to stitch them together and the seamed area would be pretty flimsy.

For one of my smaller tanks, I had an old metal mesh lid with the mesh broken. I went to Lowe's and bought some screening to redo the mesh. Same kind of screening that can used to make false bottoms in terrariums. If you don't have an old lid, you could always make your own frame. Nylon netting from the fabric store is another option that you could put into your own frame. It all depends on how crafty you want to get.

jalauren

Reaction score
I use 7 count plastic canvas mesh as a divider in my tank. Walmart sells the large sheets in 3 packs for pretty cheap, but if you have anything bigger than a 10 gallon you'd have to stitch them together and the seamed area would be pretty flimsy.

For one of my smaller tanks, I had an old metal mesh lid with the mesh broken. I went to Lowe's and bought some screening to redo the mesh. Same kind of screening that can used to make false bottoms in terrariums. If you don't have an old lid, you could always make your own frame. Nylon netting from the fabric store is another option that you could put into your own frame. It all depends on how crafty you want to get.

Oh thank god I can get this from walmart! Hobby Lobby is really far from my house /: But I'm not really the "crafty" type lol, but I can try.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to make the frame?

layna

Reaction score
I dont really know what it is (we dont have it in the uk) but ive read on here that some people use 'egg crate' as a top for their tanks instead of metal :D
You could also get your green fingers on and have plants growing out of the gaps hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1