Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Looks like my tiger sal got a pimple!!?? NO IDEA.. pls help =)

miss krysta

Reaction score
Hi! I'm brand new here, so I also wanted to take the chance to introduce myself right now. My name's Krysta, I'm 26, from Boston, and I'm an absolute herp FANATIC! I love all my babies =) At the moment, I have 2 red tail boas, a veiled chameleon, 3 fire bellied toads, a white's tree frog, an albino african clawed frog, and of course my fire bellied newt, Hermes, and a tiger salamander, Snoop, my big boy!! I have one question of concern... but recently, like, within the last week I'd say, a little bump popped up on him, didn't get big, looks like a pimple almost, doesn't look infected or deformed or swollen or anything, it just looks like a pimple. There's a black spot in the middle of it, like where a black head would be, but it is empty, like it already popped? I'm not f*cking with it until I'm sure, I don't want to do something wrong thinking I'm helping him and end up hurting the little guy!! I'm attaching a picture... so feedback would be awesome if anybody has ever heard of this before or knows what it is, if it is something to worry about or not!!:confused:

Thanks!
Miss Krysta

Attachments

• CAM00197 (2).jpg
    CAM00197 (2).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 956

Ted

Reaction score
Hello krysta.sounds like you have a nice collection of animals....now,this may not be the best advice at all to follow,but if that was on my salamander I'd probably try to pick it and see what happens.ive always operated on all my animals myself.

sde

Reaction score
I would not try to pick or pop it! It would probably just cause the salamander pain and possibly make it worse.
I don't think salamanders can actually get pimples etc. but it does look like that. But I have noticed that these "pimple" like things seem to come up a lot in this species. And I honestly don't really know what they are. But I did read somewhere where someone said that it is a fungus, but I am not positive.

I would just try to leave it alone, until a more experienced keeper gives better advice.

CAN ANYONE WITH MORE EXPERIANCE PLEASE HELP KRYSTA? -Seth

miss krysta

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice all =) And the other thread convo helped me out somewhat, also. It does appear to be getting smaller by the day, which seems to be a good sign =) But I'm keeping a close eye on it, If anything changes I will take Snoop to the vet ASAP, I'm just trying to keep that as last resort as my money situation is not very good at the moment =\

gtrheroine

Reaction score
Hi Krysta,

A year or two ago I found a hard, raised bump on my tiger salamander's head. It did look different than yours though. I measured the bump every month and monitored it and after a year it disappeared.

Since it's not the same as what I dealt with I'm sure quite sure what your next move should be. I wish I could give you a better answer. It's not a bad idea to see a vet. Right now I'm dealing with a sallie with limp legs which is causing me a lot of distress so I know how you must be feeling!

-Elise

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1