Urgent help please

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my axololt just recently became Ill and I don't know what to do to help her. There are no vets around my around that know about axolotls so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

She has been bloated for a about a week. Originally I thought she may be pregnant as I saw sprems In The tank, so I waited a few days for her to lay eggs and that never happened. She was eating and swimming around just fine and her color was normal. One day to the next she became really bloated, next and belly bloated and her gills are now the same color as her body, pale.

Water levels are within normal ranges, I just recently did a water change about a week ago, maybe a few days before she became like this. I did everything as I normally do. She's not eating anything, even when I try and force feed her, I tried 3 times but found it was really stressful on her and she ended up throwing up the food.

She is very lethargic, she moves only when I come near the tub or when I put my hands in the water to touch her to make sure she's alive still.she's a young girl,about 4years old and I've had no major problems with her up until now.

Her legs look funny because they've been regenerating for quite some time now, during that period she never got fungus or any type of infection.

I'm really concerned about it and I don't know what I can do to help her. Any advise would help. Please and thank you.

P.S sorry for the long message. I just wanted to give you her full story or w.e you want to call it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 199
What parameters do you consider 'normal' ranges? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in ppm. I wouldn't force feed her unless she was dangerously thin :c that's very much a last-resort kind of thing. What is it exactly that you're feeding her?

The cause of bloat is usually organ failure :( her legs do make it look like she has bloat.

I'm unsure if there's any home remedies to help alleviate her symptoms.

I've never seen that type of paleness. What types of food have you tried out?

What has her leg been regenerating from? Bite? Infection? Scrape? Is she getting enough oxygen? Those gills are frighteningly beautiful, aren't they?! Sure wish the best for her:confused:

Your axolotl does appear anemic.

If we are to assume your husbandry is excellent, then the anemia could be caused by any number of things (pathogens, infection, toxin, renal/liver failure, etc). In which case I would strongly recommend seeking the expertise of a vet. I don't see this getting better on its own.

She passed away later that same day. Thanks for trying to help us. I was too late.:(

So sorry for your loss! Where you able to find out the cause?:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back