Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

*Advice Needed* re. axolotl tanks

Spunkrat

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jazz and I am in some need of advice on my two axolotls.
I am looking after them for my partner who is away over seas.
Ive been feeding them at his house when I visit regularly. I clean and replace some water about once a week. Feeding them (garden worms that I clean) about two - three times per week.

My problem is that I have noticed some tiny little white worms floating around the tank. I got advice from a local pet store. But i didn't follow it as they suggested bleaching the tank, and feeding them something different.

what I have done is cleaned their filters out thoroughly, spent a very long time cleaning the tank. after removing some of the water i wiped (with an unused cloth) around the exposed glass, to physically get any worms out. Also I used a net to remove them.

Ive spoken to his Dad, who has been leaving the garden worms in the tank if they dont eat them. I asked him to stop doing this as it is likely that this what is causing the worms.

What other options do I have? I am also not sure if these are harmful to axolotls and I would greatly appreciate some help.

thank you in advance!

jazz:happy:

Kaini

Reaction score
Tiny little white worms?
They're probably unrelated to the earthworms you're feeding them, so I wouldn't worry about that. They're probably a common aquarium pest, maybe planaria. Generally they're harmless. They can be removed with a net like you were.

What I'm more worried about is you doing a total clean to the filter. You probably crashed the nitrogen cycle in the tank by doing this. Do you test the water, for ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

You should never completely clean th filter - it kills the beneficial bacteria living there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!